Herbs and Guineas

Sydney65

Crowing
Aug 2, 2019
Indiana
Have been doing some reading abt herbs- ofcourse it's directed toward chickens, not guineas (will attach links). Just in the beginning phase of the garden season, but decided to test out some perennials with them.
Apparently my peppermint has been overtaken by lemon balm, so that was a bust. But it is a good repellent.
They like the sage, and went absolutely bonkers over the garlic chives. Ofcourse they had to beat it to death first, but then sucked them down like spaghetti.😂
So we have a new treat. I scattered a mixture of dried herbs for them over the winter and they enjoyed that, but fresh is apparently best. Lol
https://www.hobbyfarms.com/5-herbs-your-chickens-will-love-4/
https://bonnieplants.com/gardening/herb-garden-for-chickens/

Mine must not care for chives. They never eat mine. They have however decided that hostas are delicious 🙄
Oddly enough,Hostas are poisonous to canines, but you aren't the only one with poultry that eat them. If you have lots of time on your hands, wattle fences are a pretty way to protect them. Otherwise, there's always the cheap ugly roll fencing.
The list of poisonous plants for poultry was an :eek:. Periwinkle/creeping myrtle & Lily of the Valley fill one of our gardens. Fortunately, they must not be appetizing..or maybe that's why they avoid that area. Then again, that's where I most often pick up ticks.:he

Oddly enough,Hostas are poisonous to canines, but you aren't the only one with poultry that eat them. If you have lots of time on your hands, wattle fences are a pretty way to protect them. Otherwise, there's always the cheap ugly roll fencing.
The list of poisonous plants for poultry was an :eek:. Periwinkle/creeping myrtle & Lily of the Valley fill one of our gardens. Fortunately, they must not be appetizing..or maybe that's why they avoid that area. Then again, that's where I most often pick up ticks.:he
I didn’t know that😬
When my husbands pit bull had puppies a couple years ago they shredded my big hostas. Not sure if they got lucky and didn’t actually eat it, but none ever got sick. Maybe they would have to eat a lot?
I know hostas are edible for people and can be cooked up like asparagus. Sounds good, but I like them as an ornamental plant best. 😆
I do have lily of the valley too. Not much, just what hitchhiked with a hosta from my mom. Someone either ate that or crushed it. Ugh.

What are wattle fences? I just got a short decorative fence I put around my strawberries. It’s probably just over a foot tall once in the ground. But it’s been working so far! The guineas haven’t hopped over it to dust bathe or eat them. I’ll likely net it once the berries start growing.

I didn’t know that😬
When my husbands pit bull had puppies a couple years ago they shredded my big hostas. Not sure if they got lucky and didn’t actually eat it, but none ever got sick. Maybe they would have to eat a lot?
I know hostas are edible for people and can be cooked up like asparagus. Sounds good, but I like them as an ornamental plant best. 😆
I do have lily of the valley too. Not much, just what hitchhiked with a hosta from my mom. Someone either ate that or crushed it. Ugh.

What are wattle fences? I just got a short decorative fence I put around my strawberries. It’s probably just over a foot tall once in the ground. But it’s been working so far! The guineas haven’t hopped over it to dust bathe or eat them. I’ll likely net it once the berries start growing.
https://www.google.com/search?q=wat...qAg8Q_AUoAXoECAIQAQ&biw=712&bih=1138&dpr=2.25

I didn’t know that😬

I throw netting over the strawberries. We're infested..er..surrounded..by baby bunnies this year. In the barn, under the shed, under the deck. Last year they started eating the eggplant.
I didn't see a ratio on how much was too much, but did see that humans eat it as well.

Thank goodness ours don’t eat chives! I love chives for ME! :gig
Lol. The gran and I actually planted a small porch garden for them this week. First thing, PJ yanked out the garlic chives, root and all. After that I laid a pieceof hardcloth over it and threaded the plants through so they can't do that again.
I have a huge patch of chives, so I really don't care if they get into it. Last year they would dust bath between patches and roll in it, so they smelled like garlic and onions, but didn't bother the plants I had tucked in to deter rabbit destruction. That's when I figured out it deters mites.

I throw netting over the strawberries. We're infested..er..surrounded..by baby bunnies this year. In the barn, under the shed, under the deck. Last year they started eating the eggplant.
I didn't see a ratio on how much was too much, but did see that humans eat it as well.
I’ll have to do the same. I just caught one of the cats napping in there🙄
We haven’t had a lot of bunnies in years. Their numbers are slowly growing again, but nothing like they were 5-7yrs ago.

Back
Top Bottom