Herbs in the brooder

instarfarm

Hatching
Jun 15, 2015
At what age is it appropriate to incorporate herbs in the brooder? I read that you should wait a week or so they don't inhale it and get respiratory problems? Thoughts? I'd love to get them healthy and happy starting Day 1!

Oh, cppeace, chicks and bunnies...that is a GREAT picture!

I assume the herbs would be mint, oregano, garlic, etc. You might check the fresh eggs daily (FED) blog as the lady that manages or publishes it, whatever the correct term is, is a big proponent of herbs as preventatives. I may be mistaken but I was think she starts very early like day 1 with some herbs.

After reading her blog and book we decided to start on the brewers yeast / garlic powder and probiotics powder from day 1 mixed with the food. We just added some fresh mint on their 3 week birthday and they loved it. Of course keep in mind with the fresh herbs you will need to provide some sort of grit. I believe the FED talks about grass clumps with the soil attached but we went with commercial chic grit.

Good luck!

Oh, cppeace, chicks and bunnies...that is a GREAT picture!

I assume the herbs would be mint, oregano, garlic, etc. You might check the fresh eggs daily (FED) blog as the lady that manages or publishes it, whatever the correct term is, is a big proponent of herbs as preventatives. I may be mistaken but I was think she starts very early like day 1 with some herbs.

After reading her blog and book we decided to start on the brewers yeast / garlic powder and probiotics powder from day 1 mixed with the food. We just added some fresh mint on their 3 week birthday and they loved it. Of course keep in mind with the fresh herbs you will need to provide some sort of grit. I believe the FED talks about grass clumps with the soil attached but we went with commercial chic grit.

Good luck!
Well yes, I know about mixing herbs with feed but they way I took it they wanted to hang some in the brooder. That's a new one on me. Yeah I think that pic is adorable, but it isn't my animals just adorable :)

Oh, you are right...she does recommend hanging some in the brooder / coop / run. Also lining nest boxes, freezing with other treats, lots of examples of how to incorporate them.

When we provided fresh mint it was sprinkled around the brooder...but the other stuff I mentioned we mixed with the feed. Please keep in mind I have zero practical experience as we are first time chicken parents and our babies are 3 weeks old. I read on here daily and read 5 books prior to ordering the chicks to try and be prepared. There seems to be many, many ways / philosophies / etc. and each person has to decide their best approach.

Back
Top Bottom