Herbs to give chicks a immune boost?

MIgardengal

Songster
Apr 4, 2020
Way UP north MI
I’m wondering if anyone here gives their chicks herbs? I have 6 two week old chicks. They are all on organic non medicated starter. And they have bern getting chick probiotic since day 1.

I have noticed one of them sneezing a bit when we first got them, now they all are. I wonder if they have a chicken cold. I’m just a OCD pet parent. Doesn’t seem like there is a lot to offer in the way of chick meds. And the closest tractor supply is 1.5 hr drive.

I know adult chickens eat herbs. So I figured my garden herbs might give the chicks a boost? I chopped up some fresh lavender sprigs, and oregano. (My chicks first greens!) They gobbled it Down (and took a dust bath in it 🤪)

Are there any others I can give them? I saw something about garlic but it seemed controversial. What can I do to give them a immune boost? They are all otherwise healthy, eating like crazy, drinking, and jumping on my arms

I’m wondering if anyone here gives their chicks herbs? I have 6 two week old chicks. They are all on organic non medicated starter. And they have bern getting chick probiotic since day 1.

I have noticed one of them sneezing a bit when we first got them, now they all are. I wonder if they have a chicken cold. I’m just a OCD pet parent. Doesn’t seem like there is a lot to offer in the way of chick meds. And the closest tractor supply is 1.5 hr drive.

I know adult chickens eat herbs. So I figured my garden herbs might give the chicks a boost? I chopped up some fresh lavender sprigs, and oregano. (My chicks first greens!) They gobbled it Down (and took a dust bath in it 🤪)

Are there any others I can give them? I saw something about garlic but it seemed controversial. What can I do to give them a immune boost? They are all otherwise healthy, eating like crazy, drinking, and jumping on my arms
Chickens don't get colds like humans do.
The herbs are not going to boost immunity but if they like eating them and rolling around in them, good for them!
Is your brooder very well ventilated? What are you using for litter?
If you really want to boost their immune systems, give them a plug of sod from the yard they will eventually live in. They will scratch it to smithereens, peck at and eat what they find in it and have a generally great time with it. Put fresh clumps in the brooder daily or as they destroy them and they dry up.

Are all the chicks sneezing every few minutes or are they sneezing occasionally? Dust in the chick starter or the pine shavings may cause an occasional sneeze a few times. Are you seeing watery eyes or nasal drainage. Make sure that you are raising the waterers on blocks of wood, so that your bedding does not get wet from spills because it can mold quickly. Mold can cause brooder pneumonia a fungal respiratory disease, alao known as aspergillosis.

Did you get your chicks from a feed store or from someone raising them? Environmental reasons can be causes of sneezing, but if the chicks come from someone with other chickens, there can be the chance of a disease being brought into the flock. Infectious bronchitis virus and mycoplasma are common diseases that come from carriers. Hopefully, you just have some occasional sneezing from environmental reasons. Herbs will not cure a viral or bacterial illness. They may not cause harm.

I noticed right away after 3 days our water set up wasn’t going to work it was spilling over. I since removed and replaced the bedding, and set the watered inside a second shallow dish so no more moisture.

I got them from a feed store. I would say they all take turns sneezing individually 4-5 times every 1/2 hr. I don’t see any gook in their little noses. Is there a better bedding I should be using?

Back
Top Bottom