Herding Chickens

Urban Chaos

Songster
8 Years
Feb 9, 2011
Austin
So the situation is that I've got a fenced back yard and open front. I've a couple of "flower" (ie weed) gardens in my front yard that I would love for the girls to de-bug. How do I get them to follow me to the front yard? I've tried tempting them with treats, chasing them toward the open gate, calling them, promising them their freedom....is there a trick?

Also, anyone have pics of a chicken play pen? A tractor wouldn't work, so I was planning some sort of movable pen that I could use to contain them to the area that I want them to work in.

Peace and Happiness

Victoria

I really like the X pens that are used for puppies. They can be configured in different shapes and secured with the stakes that come with them. I also like that they can be folded flat and easily stored when not in use. I was fortunate to pick mine up at Petsmart on close out for half price and believe me, I have gotten a ton of use out of it in just the two months I've owned it. You can frequently find them used on Craigslist though. I used it quite a bit so my chicks could get some time outdoors when they were little. There is also a cover for it that can be purchased separately.

I use the previously mentioned X pen all the time with my girls. As far as getting them to follow you...If you know which chicken is the "leader" I'd carry her to the other side of the gate and set her down. My guess is the others will run very quickly to catch up with her and once introduced to a new area they will more than likely follow you anywhere.

Give them time. I've been letting mine free range for about 6 weeks, and only the last couple days have they dared to venture more than 20' from their coop. Every day they seem to edge out a little further!

yuckyuck.gif

some wonderful designer created this design and posts it free....

http://www.pvcplans.com/pvc-pastured-poultry-pen.htm

you may want to use a variation on that idea for your flower beds. I have also seen people selling this free plan on eBay for 19.00. alas.

Not sure how many chickens you have....but what about transferring them one by one from the back yard to a pen. I agree that front yards are usually less 'safe' for chickens, and you don't want them roaming the streets or visiting the neighbors front porches and pooping there.

Back to the point-- it looks like a perfect chicken play pen to me.

Urban Chaos, did you ever figure anything out? We have a similar situation as you and in the back it's so shaded not much grows which limits their bug choices. I've been hesitant, though, to show them the front yard because I don't want to encourage them to fly over our 4' chain link fence to get there on their own unsupervised.

5Leepy!

Back
Top Bottom