Here for the Ducks

silverlinings

Songster
Aug 3, 2022
McCreary County, KY (42649)
Hello All!

I joined today and while I do have experience with chickens (on and off since a young age), I actually joined because I am receiving my first ducklings from Metzer at the end of August. There are 5 (though I may order a Buff before ship), and the breeds are: Appleyard, Black Swedish, Cayuga, Saxony, and Welsh Harlequin. My husband and I have been together for 4 years, married for almost 1 year and we both work in the medical field. We have a daughter (8.5 years old) and 5 dogs. We also have experience with chickens, horses, sheep, snakes, chameleons, and a whole host of other creatures. We live on about 2 acres, and we are building the duck house/pen/coop/whatever the heck you call it right next to our cottage. My other hobbies currently include livestock herding with my dogs, home improvement projects (our cottage was run down when we moved in but it feels brand new after the work we have put into it), and spending time outside with my family (my kiddo loves collecting acorns from our oak trees this time of year).

I found BYC from just browsing and doing hours of duck research. I lurked for a couple of weeks before finally getting my courage up and joining today. I'm excited to share my little ones when they arrive, and continue to learn!

- Liv

Liv, it sounds like you are living an incredible life -- and I think adding ducks will make it even better! Congrats on upgrading your cottage; my farmhouse was in rough shape when I bought it and improvements have taken years. In fact, I don't see an end to them!

I like the idea of having your duck housing next to your cottage. That's pretty much what I've done with all my coops -- easier to watch for problems and predators, closer to watch for pure entertainment value.

I had chickens before I got my first ducklings, and my ducks are easier in terms of housing and weather concerns. Cold or rainy? My runners have no problem lying in the snow and/or frolicking in a downpour. Hot and humid? Nothing like a quick dip in a kiddie pool. Because they are so food motivated,, a simple call of "duck, duck, house, house" gets everyone back in at night.

Welcome to BYC, Liv; it's good to meet you! Will look forward to hearing from you when those adorable little ones arrive (and finding out if you added a sixth)!

Back
Top Bottom