Here is our coop!

Quote:
If you look real close on the last picture it has a 14" turbine on the top. Where its siting its getting the sunlight from the east, then the trees give it shade for the rest of the day. I will watch for the heat in the coop though.

thumbsup.gif

Love your trailer coop! Where do you live? You want to get chickens that are good in your area, if it is hot, or very cold in the winter, or a range of both!

Paradise Chickens
"Poultry in Motion!"

We live southwest of St. Louis, Mo. I want different kinds of chickens that will be nice to each other. Any suggestions anyone? I have a few in mind but would love the input!
big_smile.png

Nice job, your husband does good work. Living up north I think the rules are 4 square feet of room per bird in the coop (because they can spend alot of time in there during the snowy months). For the run it is suggested that you give each bird 10 sq. feet of room for winter cooping, they don't like to walk on snow I am told (live in central Texas, doesn't snow for most part here). Being in Texas my birds only go in the coop to lay eggs and sleep so I can get away with alot smaller actual coop area, I have 8 birds in less than 16 sq. feet of cooping space but like I said they won't go in the coop except to lay and sleep (sleeping birds need about 4 inches of roost space, some say more but they pack in like sardines right next to each other). It has windows/doors in every wall so cross ventilation happens no matter what direction the wind comes from.

More room they have the less chance they will attack each other, strict confines can lead to egg eating and feather pulling and that is just for starters....they can be quite mean to each other. If egg eating becomes a problem you can look into putting sloped roofs (sloped to keep the chickens off and from pooping in the boxes) to limit their movement in the boxes. If they can't stand up and spin around and check out the eggs there is alot less chance of them being eaten by them. The vent on top will be excellent, will really help to move the air in there, the ammonia in their poop can be deadly when it builds up in small spaces.

So applying some simple math we see that you are set up to coop 24 full size chickens through the winter up north. That number can be slightly more or less depending on experience and personal judgement (do the chickens spend the time in the coop or run free all day till dark? if so might be able to add more if so desired). You can provide food and water inside the coop or out, personal choice again here, whatever is convenient for you. Once they roost they are done for the night, they won't get up to drink or eat at all in the middle of the night.

Quote:
Guess the real question is WHAT do you want them for? If you want eggs, make sure you look for good layers... Sex-Links, Buff Orpintons, Rocks, etc. (I'm not getting eggs yet, so I am going by what I've been told)... If you want colored eggs, there are ones for that too...

If you want a "pretty" chicken then I will say... I LOVE MY POLISH AND SILKIES. Sillkies are sooooo sweet.

Let everyone know and I am sure you will have that coop filled in no time.

Love it! It is great that you used recycled materials. Kudos to you and your hubby!

I'm in Texas, and we just can't have anything totally closed in down here, even with a turbine. Short of putting an air conditioner in it, they woud smother. Too bad...cuz I really love your trailer coop!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom