1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Here they are at 3.5 weeks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by jakmallex, Jun 1, 2008.

1. jakmallex

jakmallex Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2008
    NC
  2. perfectly_polish

perfectly_polish Overrun With Chickens

Mar 1, 2007
    CT
    You have beautiful birds! I love the pictures too

3. freerange freaks

freerange freaks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    I know you hear this a lot, but you are a terrific photographer. I love looking at your pictures. The one with the chick "peeping" is my favourite. Thanks for sharing.

4. bangor777

bangor777 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2008
    beautiful photos. you should take pet photos professionally....your shots are amazing!

5. jakmallex

Mar 19, 2008
    NC
    The "peeping" chick is the most photogenic. From the time I got her (hoping it's a girl) she's always had the cutest head tilt and expressions.

6. basicliving

basicliving Keepin' the sunny side up

Mar 20, 2008
    Shenandoah Valley, VA
    Look at those beautiful feathers! They are really growing up. Thanks for keeping us updated with those wonderful pictures. Mine are just over 2 weeks old now, so I count on your pictures to give me some idea of what to expect in the next week or so. Thanks so much for sharing them.

Penny

7. flakey chick

flakey chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2007
    Florida
    I love the short field of focus for these portraits. What kind of camera do you use that gives you this control? I also noticed that your other portraits have no poop on the background. How do you achieve that amazing result? Poop the birds first? change paper frequently?

Truly amazing photos.

8. Ellie

Ellie Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2007
    Redding, Ca.
    Beautiful birds and beautiful pictures.

They have such cute expressions.

Ellie

9. jakmallex

Mar 19, 2008
    NC
    Flakey chick, I use the Canon 30D. Although you can get the same effect using any camera that lets you change the aperture (which will change your depth of field). A lot of point and shoot cameras have that ability as well, you don't need to get a digital SLR in order to get good results.

Unfortunately when the chicks were little they would poop, jump, squawk, etc. every time the flash went off (now they are old pros). The foam board that they sit on for their "chick portraits" has some poop stains on it, but I try to wipe it up pretty well. The rest I clone out in photoshop. If I wipe it quickly then it doesn't leave too much of a mess.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by