Here we go again - I'm hatching more goslings!!

did float test, it's right at the aircell and standing upright in the water. Maybe he's just late
idunno.gif

Do you all mind if I join you? I just set 20 some call duck eggs and 20 some seb eggs on Sunday. I also set about 16 more seb and other goose eggs three days ago. My seb is sitting on 10 eggs but she keeps getting off nest for long periods of time. I may steal most of her eggs and set those. I have 4 in the hatcher due to hatch Tuesday (sebs) and hatched a blue Swedish duck yesterday. Call duck with splayed legs hatched a few days ago but didn't make it.

Sue, if it floats its dead. Make the water deep enough to cover the entire egg. It should be warm water to not chill the egg. Slow lower pointy end down and let go. If it sinks and stands on point look for a wiggle (it's alive) if it floats (it's dead).

Thasista, welcome aboard. Of she isn't tending her nest and you want to hatch its best to take the eggs. Then again if all of the eggs hatch do you have plans for them? :lol:

Welcome to our hatching group, sista. You will find yourself in good company here hatching sebbies.
big_smile.png

Psue and Celtic, I am so glad the two of you were discussing the float test. I have three that are late and not looking good ao now I know how to check them to see if they are alive. I learn something everyday from BYC.

Hi Thasista, and welcome to I'm hatching more goslings.

Marty has anyone heard from Amy lately? I am hoping the surgery for her daughter turned out okay.

Psue and Celtic, I am so glad the two of you were discussing the float test. I have three that are late and not looking good ao now I know how to check them to see if they are alive. I learn something everyday from BYC.

Marty has anyone heard from Amy lately? I am hoping the surgery for her daughter turned out okay.

No, I havn't heard from her. I can got send her an e-mail, and let her know folks are thinking of her, if you like.

Marty, I just did that as I have been thinking of her and keeping her daughter in my prayers every day. I hate it when a child is sick as they just don't understand why they feel badly. Thganks for the quick reply.

Sue, if it floats its dead. Make the water deep enough to cover the entire egg. It should be warm water to not chill the egg. Slow lower pointy end down and let go. If it sinks and stands on point look for a wiggle (it's alive) if it floats (it's dead).
Thasista, welcome aboard. Of she isn't tending her nest and you want to hatch its best to take the eggs. Then again if all of the eggs hatch do you have plans for them?
lol.png

Celtic it's on day 31 now (30 last night) all of my last hatches the aircell got large enough for them to float right at the aircell line and thats where this one is. I think I saw some pulsing this morning. It's lost 18%. Keeping a close eye on it as I've got more eggs in there. just so hard to see whats going on the last week until they dip
barnie.gif

Do you all mind if I join you? I just set 20 some call duck eggs and 20 some seb eggs on Sunday. I also set about 16 more seb and other goose eggs three days ago. My seb is sitting on 10 eggs but she keeps getting off nest for long periods of time. I may steal most of her eggs and set those. I have 4 in the hatcher due to hatch Tuesday (sebs) and hatched a blue Swedish duck yesterday. Call duck with splayed legs hatched a few days ago but didn't make it.
frow.gif
join the fun!

hi littledear!

Last edited:
Sue and littledear:

When you perform the float test... make sure water is not cold to not shock the baby inside. Also, if you see movement or vibrations in water, be sure to get egg out of water and pat dry asap. The purpose of the float test is to cut off all oxygen, which is basically suffocating the baby inside which triggers the reaction.

I always use room temp water.... I have a filter pitcher that sets on my counter and I always use the good water! and never leave them in longer then what it takes for them to settle into position... takes just a few seconds.

I've always watched for what the egg looks like in the water.... not for ripples ect. need to change what i'm looking at.
hmm.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom