Here we go, Code Enforcement's coming

playmeasong

Chirping
11 Years
Apr 9, 2008
South Jersey
First of all, an apology to those reading who don't have to deal with the crap I am dealing with (read: those with lots of acreage...).

I emailed about three months ago (Headline "5 acres, can you believe?"), that my township's codes state you need 5 acres in order to have barnyard animals, and I was torn because I really wanted to start raising hens. Well I went ahead and quietly ordered, then received, and now we're nurturing a dozen little beauties. They're about to turn 4 weeks this week, and I'm told that Code Enforcement started driving by the house, slowly, turning around at the corners and driving by several times, while I was at work Friday. The chicks are still in my garage and I carry them out once a day to the back so they can range for an hour, then put them back.

Apparently either one of my children's friend's parents reported us, or it's a random drive by (NOT), and I am now thinking that I got a boatload of trouble coming my way. I spoke to a few of the adjoining neighbors already, using all the helpful advice from books and postings, and I expected by their positive reactions that we were going to be fine with those we spoke with not reporting us. We are planning on keeping 3 of them in a small coop and attached pen that was just finished being build by a family friend, and have a friend taking the other 9. They should be outdoors by next weekend. I'm just beside myself that someone would report us this quickly, and that I'm probably going to lose out on experiencing keeping laying hens in my township, when other townships close by have NO stipulations for keeping them whatsoever.

i need help, a hug, suggestions, something to help pick my heart off the floor. Please no "I told you so's"...I can't bear it right now. I've been so pleased with the amount of support those have offered in my initial post. Now I'm feeling very scared and not sure what to do.

Thanks, and peace,
Jen
hit.gif

How much land do you have? I hope this all works out and you can enjoy your hens. Good Luck.

Dilly

Gosh, I wish I could help! I know the fear of thinking that someone will take your chicks away.

I live in suburbia where it IS legal to keep chickens as long as there are no complaints. When coming home from the store last week I noticed the pick-up in front of me had lots of animal cages and was marked USDA on the cab's door. My heart froze as I followed him to within a block of my house, even knowing my chicks were legal and my neighbors were cool.

Turns out he was testing and vaccinating raccoons for rabies. Hopefully it will turn out to be something equally silly for you.

In the meantime I would keep my chicks inside for a little longer.

Good luck
fl.gif
, I hope things are ok for your babies.

Awww, thats just stinks!! Why can't they just leave us chicken lovers alone!?? Not like you have a meth lab...dang, they are just a few hens!! I sure hope everything works out ok for ya!
hugs.gif

IF they come around ask, no demand, to see it in writing. then get a varience, give them letters from your neighbors. don't back down! start a petition to change the law. keep us posted.

"Chickens? What chickens?...Do you see any chickens here?"

If someone called in a complaint Code Enfocement will investigate by driving by a certain number of times or even walking by your house to see proof of a violation before they come to your door and ask you if you have chickens, If they can find no proof they usually write it off as the complainant having a grudge against you.

smile.png
Um yeah, I'm in the same boat as you, 5 acres min, shhh... don't tell on me. l'd say keep them indoors for a couple more weeks. I've had conversations with our Animal control people and if they don't physically see the animals they can't write you a ticket. Least that is the way it is here. Also the first visit will be just a warning. Our AC only works 9-5 as well. Maybe for the next few weeks only let them out when AC is closed? Just some ideas. Good Luck!

Does your yard have a privacy fence?
I was thinking maybe a tractor built right behind the garage with a LOCKED gate. Make sure the dog bites.
Heh, I have a beagle/rat terror mix, (yes he's a terror) he doesn't like strangers and is an ankle biter. Don't turn your back on him.

Back
Top Bottom