Heres a Question for ya!

cluckcluckluke

Crowing
7 Years
Jul 10, 2012
The Foothills Of Chickendom
when my hen lays an egg they just sit there quietly some of them make a bit of noise when laying but after they've finished laying they go bazerk swqrking and carrying on and on and on and i just think that such a bad evolutionary trait its almost advertising to predators "ooooo look at me Ive just laid a lovely plump egg and now I'm going of to forage i just hope no one eats it". so i want to know why they do this?

Actually it is to distract predators from their nest, saying 'follow me, nothing to see over there.' Oftentimes they will be moving away from their chosen nest while making the noises.

I thought it might be - again a throw-back to the time before they had been domesticated - an attempt to regain contact with the rest of the flock, who would have wandered on through the jungle while the chicken was laying her egg.

you learn something every day, both good points i just thought it was a really stupid thing to do. BUT Pinky why just not make any noise at all why would she want to endanger her self and if there is a predator waiting it still going to see her

Back
Top Bottom