Heres another rooster we are not about!!!

saltandpepper

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jan 29, 2011
ok don't laugh. I'm new at this but still want to ask. what do you think a chicken would look like if the mother was a white sultan silkie and the father was a black cochin? my husband says they would look like the mother but i'm seeing on here with the rooster in question that the offspring would look more like the father.i myself was hoping for a black and white polka dot. thought that would be quite cute .

Sonoran Silkies

Flock Mistress
11 Years
Jan 4, 2009
Tempe, Arizona
Quote:Type will be somewhere between the two. Colour will depend on whether the white is dominant or recessive, what other colour and pattern genes the white is carrying and the base of both birds.

What I can say is that you are almost certain to NOT get black with white spots. That is mottling, and is a recessive gene. For it to show in adult plumage to any extent, both parents must provide a copy of mo to the offspring. You will sometimes get a very small amount of mottling in a bird with one copy of mo, especially in juvenile plumage.

Chances are pretty good that the offspring of a cross between a sultan & a cochin will have a small crest, foot feathering, 5 toes & a V-comb as those are dominant traits.

However, I am not sure what you mean by "sultan silkie."

Sonoran Silkies

Flock Mistress
11 Years
Jan 4, 2009
Tempe, Arizona
Quote:You would probably get a splash (white with black spots).

Splash is two copies of the blue gene: one from each parent. Since the cochin is black, not blue, a splash outcome is not possible as the father cannot contribute blue.

Pinky

Songster
11 Years
Nov 15, 2008
South GA
Quote:You would probably get a splash (white with black spots).

Splash is two copies of the blue gene: one from each parent. Since the cochin is black, not blue, a splash outcome is not possible as the father cannot contribute blue.

OK

Top Bottom