Here's the situation…

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by goldeneggtees, Jul 8, 2010.

1. goldeneggtees

goldeneggtees Fluffy Butt Nut

Mar 11, 2009
    Long Island, NY
    I have 7 hens, 2 of which that are mothering chicks right now. Everyone is out free ranging on their own little 1/4 acre property. They have a big coop they into at night. All of that doesn't have anything to do with my dilemma. I have an elderly neighbor who has 3 pekin ducks and 6 hens. The town has been going to her house due to a complaint from a neighbor. Not sure why they complained but it could be because the ducks are very noisy and her neighbors are very close and overlook her backyard.

We are only allowed to have a max of 8 birds, be they ducks or chickens (no roos). Anyway, since she has 1 too many, she wants me to watch one of her hens for a week. I am reluctant to do so for a few reasons. Even though we are in fairly close proximity and regularly walk from yard to yard, I am nervous to have her bird in with mine. I am also afraid of what my hens may do to her or vice versa. I also worry about the chicks, although they do have their mommies with them at all times. I feel very guilty about not taking her hen but at the same time, it makes me very nervous to take her. If the weather was cooler, maybe I would consider taking her and keeping her inside my coop, but then she'd be close to my hens anyway, as it's an open coop with just chicken wire.

What are your opinions? I don't want her to get in trouble, but couldn't she just take her hen and put her in her house for awhile or even in her garage? I kinda feel like I am being pushed into a situation I don't want to be in, however, I'd like to retain our friendship.

P.S. Most of the chicks have homes already, I plan on keeping three, of course that'll put me over the limit too.

Hmmmm…

Last edited: Jul 8, 2010
  2. sprawli

sprawli Out Of The Brooder

May 27, 2010
    One thing that might sway your decision is that I've heard it's not a good idea to mix flocks like that as you don't know what your chickens are susceptible to that one of hers may already be carrying but be immune to... It would be rotten to lose any of your chickens from something that got introduced by someone else's chicken!

3. goldeneggtees

Mar 11, 2009
    Long Island, NY
    Yea, this is exactly what bothers me.

4. 33yardbirds

33yardbirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2010
    Southern New Jersey
    No good deed goes unpunished.[​IMG]

5. goldeneggtees

Mar 11, 2009
    Long Island, NY
    WOW! Off topic, this post just changed me to "Overrun with Chickens" I'm so proud. Now how to get outta my current situation 'cause it always seem to be something with these darn chickens! [​IMG]

6. goldeneggtees

Mar 11, 2009
    Long Island, NY
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Quote:

7. Chickenaddict

Chickenaddict Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    East Bethel MN
    I would kindly suggest to your neighbor to lock the hen up in her house in a darkened room for the day. Tell her it's because of the chicks running around with mamas and you need to protect them. Also it would be highly stressful to that hen to move and she herself could get hurt by the flock ganging up on her.

8. woodmort

woodmort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY
    Quote:I agree couple this with the no good deed quote and you're asking for trouble unless there is some way you can completely isolate that hen.

9. goldeneggtees

Mar 11, 2009
    Long Island, NY
    Thanks for your advice everyone. I just hope the town stops harassing her and starts doing better things with their time other than bug an old lady.

Oh BTW, I wrote something wrong in my original post, my coop is not made of chicken wire, just the dividers inside that make up the rooms.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by