1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

here's why we shouldn't put quail and chickens together...update #3

Discussion in 'Quail' started by fitzy, Sep 29, 2009.

1. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Quote:nope, there's no way my chickens can actually peck my quail. the closest they got was about 3 feet away (height of my cage). apparently i handled a chicken and then a quail with the same gloves....either that or this was an airborne illness. as a few other people have posted lately, there are some diseases that chickens only carry with no adverse affects but will cause things like this in quail.

SORRY I'M KEEPIN' MY CAPS LOCK...

2. Mrs MIA

Mrs MIA Chick Magnet

Mar 3, 2008
    Quote:nope, there's no way my chickens can actually peck my quail. the closest they got was about 3 feet away (height of my cage). apparently i handled a chicken and then a quail with the same gloves....either that or this was an airborne illness. as a few other people have posted lately, there are some diseases that chickens only carry with no adverse affects but will cause things like this in quail.

SORRY I'M KEEPIN' MY CAPS LOCK...

*chuckle!*
    Very wise... [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 30, 2009
  3. peewee

peewee Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2008
    Orlando, Florida
    I had something like this happen with one of my chickens - took her to the vet and he gave me Vibramycin (sp?) injectable for her. I really thought I was going to have to put her down - went out of town for a week and came back and saw her. She was bad!!! After 1 injection and around 7 days cage rest you really couldn't tell that she had been sick other than the weight loss. This stuff is EXPENSIVE but if you have lots of birds like you do I would rather spend some money to save the rest.

4. JJMR794

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Folks Seem To Be Missing This Thread... I Just READ 3 More STrings Can I Keep Quail With? Can I Use This To Hatch Quail...

Last edited: Oct 7, 2009
  5. peewee

Sep 25, 2008
    Orlando, Florida
    I was just wondering how your bird was doing and if she was the only one infected?

Last edited: Oct 8, 2009
  6. fitzy

fitzy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2009
    manhattan, ks
    Quote:well, she's in a quail heaven now...i decided to euthanize her after talking with the vet. apparently these things can return in the future without warning and that's a chance i just can't take with this many quail (over 500 now). luckily, no other birds have shown symptoms and thier antibiotic treatment was over on sunday. i'll make a new post if anything new happens.

7. kingmt

kingmt Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    Mason WV
    Quote:I was wondering about that myself & if it was worth trying to save. Thanks for the update.

8. peewee

Sep 25, 2008
    Orlando, Florida
    Sorry to hear that you had to put her down but always better safe than sorry. Glad to hear nobody else was infected. With that many birds that would have been devastating!

9. fitzy

fitzy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2009
    manhattan, ks
    Quote:thanks....she was one of the bigger in her group which made it suck even more, but i'm not gonna take chances.

I just added another 130 to the garage last sunday and should have hundreds (not kidding) coming in the next month or two....gonna try to process some after the antibiotics are outta their systems.

10. JJMR794

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Fitzy R We Still "all Clear?"

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by