Heritage Bantam Thread

I haven't butchered any yet I just sell them for 5-10$
Rephrase then... 1. How much does a full grown cock weigh 2. do any of the people you sell to eat them (or progeny)? 'cause no way around here could I sell all the males in a hatch. Most people want hens, or at best, trios... so still lots of 'extra' males once all's said and done.
Walt, will a male Nankin dress out for a soup?
Does anyone caponize bantams ?!? Lordy, betting that's way too hard to do. (sorry if that offends anyone, but I do need to feed my family from what we raise)
Trying to find a fit for what I see as the local market, and I can still put to good use.
I had considered an Orpington bantam... fewer eggs, but since they tend to be more in the 3lb or so at maturity, they'd dress out nicely for what, 1.5lb of meat at least, yes?
Been investigating Mr. Killians capon system utilizing a 3/4D.Cornish1/4Buckeye large fowl. (Met him yesterday. He's a WA state peach! ...vs. a Georgia one, which he'd take exception to, being from the NE, and since I have NO idea what one tastes like) Wonder if you could work a similar thing using bantams... <please don't throw rocks at me, a total of 4 birds would be used as a side meat producing project> Don't think you could do capons, but still interesting.
I know, I know, "make up your mind". NO! I'm not ready! Too many choices, not enough information! I will willy-nilly build my flock for that NPIP thing... but eventually want to maximize my results in the flock I keep.
Ramb-lin', .... -AG

Spangled OEGB

How on earth did you catch them posing like that?
cool.png
"Oh, Reginald, my Aquafina if you please... does the lighting work for me dahling?" I keep loving every OEGB I see, wish we had more space. Reminds me... need to let the OEGB thread know about this one...

Rephrase then... 1. How much does a full grown cock weigh 2. do any of the people you sell to eat them (or progeny)? 'cause no way around here could I sell all the males in a hatch. Most people want hens, or at best, trios... so still lots of 'extra' males once all's said and done.
Walt, will a male Nankin dress out for a soup?
Does anyone caponize bantams ?!? Lordy, betting that's way too hard to do. (sorry if that offends anyone, but I do need to feed my family from what we raise)
Trying to find a fit for what I see as the local market, and I can still put to good use.
I had considered an Orpington bantam... fewer eggs, but since they tend to be more in the 3lb or so at maturity, they'd dress out nicely for what, 1.5lb of meat at least, yes?
Been investigating Mr. Killians capon system utilizing a 3/4D.Cornish1/4Buckeye large fowl. (Met him yesterday. He's a WA state peach! ...vs. a Georgia one, which he'd take exception to, being from the NE, and since I have NO idea what one tastes like) Wonder if you could work a similar thing using bantams... <please don't throw rocks at me, a total of 4 birds would be used as a side meat producing project> Don't think you could do capons, but still interesting.
I know, I know, "make up your mind". NO! I'm not ready! Too many choices, not enough information! I will willy-nilly build my flock for that NPIP thing... but eventually want to maximize my results in the flock I keep.
Ramb-lin', .... -AG

The wyandotte cock is supposed to weigh 30 oz and the rhode island red is supposed to weigh34 oz

How about Pyncheons? Can anyone here tell me anything about them? Are they winter hardy? How big do they get, say, compared to an OEGB? What does the standard say about them? I've seen pictures of Mille Fleur coloring and some Porcelean, Are there other colors? Anyone know any good breeders?

The wyandotte cock is supposed to weigh 30 oz and the rhode island red is supposed to weigh34 oz
That seems respectable, since an OEGB is supposed to be about 22oz or so. My copy of the SOP is old, and for large fowl except for 'game bantams'. A nice new copy from the ABA and APA is in the budget for next year, I hope.
pop.gif

The standard will give you a reference to size compared to OEGB, I think they are pretty close in size, though most OEGB are too small. Only breeder I know that has them, is in Northern Michigan, and doesn't really sell anything.
How about Pyncheons? Can anyone here tell me anything about them? Are they winter hardy? How big do they get, say, compared to an OEGB? What does the standard say about them? I've seen pictures of Mille Fleur coloring and some Porcelean, Are there other colors? Anyone know any good breeders?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom