Heritage Bantam Thread

The young Delaware bantams that I was generously given by Don Gibson, a long time Oklahoma breeder and showman.
The sun was pretty bright and washed out the color on their necks...but the one of the pullet in the shade shows it more clearlyThey are healthy and robust little birds. If the rooster weighed in like a largefowl, he would own the farm
!

Last edited:
COOOL and sweet an liking the open tails too on the girlies
thumbsup.gif

I have a few bantams running around here that are crop outs from about a 5 generation back cross of a hatchery type Del male x blue wheaten EE hen= Delaweggers LOL if I should get them rounded up I might post a pic of some just for kicks and giggles they "ain't" heritage by no means if heritage really means much to whomever but they look the part LOL I once posted my lil' NH looking bantam up on the NH thread he got recognition by a few and he didn't have a drop of it in him nowhere but he sorta looked it though LOL

Jeff

From the Indiana state Fair Site Champion Feather legged
Bearded White Silkie hen
Shari McCollough

Your Delaware Bantams may be better than some large fowl that we looked at three years ago for color and type. Nice pictures.

Do many of you considered having bantams to hatch your eggs for some of your rare breed of large fowl then let them raise your littlechicks in a brooder pen?

This year I traded ten R I Red bantam chicks to a new partner for ten Silkie chicks. I got about six pullets and will put them with three Buff Brahmas bantams in a 8x8 foot pen I have about six nest I bought out of Wall Mart the reproduction Milk crates they where about 4.dollors and month them on the wall. I load them up with eggs that are not futile or I have a bunch of Easter plastic eggs I painted brown and have them in the box hoping one will get the urge to go broody. Then leave the eggs and the broody hen in the pen for say three days swap out the eggs with good R I Red bantam eggs and then let her sit on them. Hopefully, she will trigger others to go broody. Then I hope as March, April and May comes around and it gets hot down here all of them will sooner or later go broody.

Then when the eggs are about to hatch I put them in a separate hatcher and I can hatch maybe eight or ten chicks toe punch them then put the hen in a special built brooder pen about two foot by two foot by six foot pen with a box two foot by two foot for the hen to have the chicks in them. May even give her some extra chicks from a smaller hatcher and let her take care of 15 or so . This is my plan for next year.

Just something to think about as a use for bantams. Nothing like a chick hatched by a mother hen and or raised by them.

Also, but don't tell know one if you have good Rhode Island Red bantams and want to win with a great type brick shape red bantam pullet if she goes broody on you let her raise a batch of chicks. after her molt she will have a finish on her that will be hard to beat at a show. This is a secret from the Hall of Fame breeder Kenny Bowles from New York state. Ever heard of him?

Last edited:
COOOL and sweet an liking the open tails too on the girlies
thumbsup.gif

I have a few bantams running around here that are crop outs from about a 5 generation back cross of a hatchery type Del male x blue wheaten EE hen= Delaweggers LOL if I should get them rounded up I might post a pic of some just for kicks and giggles they "ain't" heritage by no means if heritage really means much to whomever but they look the part LOL I once posted my lil' NH looking bantam up on the NH thread he got recognition by a few and he didn't have a drop of it in him nowhere but he sorta looked it though LOL

Jeff
Jeff - with that cross do you still get the color egg or delaware egg ?
I have a pair I want to cross to one of Kathyinmo males

Hey Walt, have been chatting with someone in WA regarding Nankin bantams, but maybe you could answer some of my questions here?
1. How broody have they been, in your experience; I've heard you can even give them already hatched chicks?
2. I have to ask, do you know anyone who has eaten their spare cockerels? I'm loving almost everything about these little guys.
3. I do wonder, has anyone attempted to move for the tan/lighter ones to become an accepted color? I know the APA is probably having fits with land races like Icelandics, where there's not any consistency at all, where Nankins at least seem to stick to a gradation of color. I happen to LIKE the buff? Wheaton? ... not that it matters, an SOP is an SOP. :) And you would know, since you helped put that all together...

'It for tonight!

Hey Walt, have been chatting with someone in WA regarding Nankin bantams, but maybe you could answer some of my questions here?
1. How broody have they been, in your experience; I've heard you can even give them already hatched chicks?
2. I have to ask, do you know anyone who has eaten their spare cockerels? I'm loving almost everything about these little guys.
3. I do wonder, has anyone attempted to move for the tan/lighter ones to become an accepted color? I know the APA is probably having fits with land races like Icelandics, where there's not any consistency at all, where Nankins at least seem to stick to a gradation of color. I happen to LIKE the buff? Wheaton? ... not that it matters, an SOP is an SOP. :) And you would know, since you helped put that all together...

'It for tonight!

They are very broody, but I would be careful giving them chicks they didn't hatch.
No
There is only one color of Nankins.

They are nice birds.

walt

Back
Top Bottom