Heritage Bantam Thread

Pics
I have just noticed this thread! Very cool! I have some bantam Langshans as well as bantam Speckled Sussex. I have only seen these shown once in all my time and I bought the birds that were shown. Trying to find some good ones without help was a heck of a time and I got lucky in that I knew what I was searching for. I found birds of the same line after quite a bit of research and then had the birds sent to me. Unfortunately, that breeder has also dispersed their flock as well.

Please feel free to comment on these as I am more than open to any ideas you might have. I have decided to keep all the pullets from the breeding that look promising, the cockerel are another matter and I am unsure as which male to keep.

I tend to like the birds that have a more bantam Rhode Island Red type, which makes it a bit difficult to choose the right male as the tail angle messes me up! Gah! Fun breed, I'll give them that and SO much cheaper than the largefowl!

Good ones will go for $75 to $150 a trio. Depends on the breeder. I may have to pay $50 for a breeder hen from a breeder in the spring to cross into my line maybe $75. I want this strain as its the strain I have from Ohio. I don't want to cross another line in as it will set me back three years. Some folks do this but I like to keep the strain that mine Originated from Bill Bowen of Ohio.

There are some good ones in Texas. May be some good ones in Baton Rouge in November .

Here is some R I Red Bantams from about 12 years ago that where part large fowl and part bantam.

The two males on the right where sent to a bantam breeder who had Lee Roy Jones bantams and crossed onto two old hens
then the next year the breeder sent me two ckls their sons the smallest males and I crossed them onto my flock. That got the bantam shrinking
program going again. In about 5 years we started getting red bantams about standard size. This past year I got one line that is two oz under weight and one line about three oz over weight.
Hope to cross the two lines or family's and get them right on the money for two years from now. Total time invested in this project with Lee Roy Jones bantams from Ky and E W Reese large fowl form Ga. 24 years. That's how you breed the cochin and old English genes right out of a red bantam. All females have level backs and brick shape like these males you see in the picture and level wing carriage. No RED ROCKS here. bob

Here is some R I Red Bantams from about 12 years ago that where part large fowl and part bantam.
In about 5 years we started getting red bantams about standard size. This past year I got one line that is two oz under weight and one line about three oz over weight.Total time invested in this project with Lee Roy Jones bantams from Ky and E W Reese large fowl form Ga. 24 years. That's how you breed the cochin and old English genes right out of a red bantam. All females have level backs and brick shape like these males you see in the picture and level wing carriage. No RED ROCKS here. bob
This is so good! Gives great perspective on breed development. Probably would be great to see this on the Delaware thread, so people having trouble with the K line can feel a bit better about not having perfected those Dels yet! :)

I like this thread because it's all about the utility of bantams, which I think they are better at than most people give them credit for. I am interested in peoples experiences with banties as layers specifically. I started a thread about that, so if you have experience with different breeds check it out. I think it would be a helpful reference. I am especially interested in RIR, EE, rock, brahma and orpington bantams laying ability.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/825914/what-bantam-breeds-lay-the-best-experiences#post_12042167

Back
Top Bottom