Heritage Bantam Thread

Good afternoon everyone. I have a pair SC Nankin bantams that I would like to raise some chicks from and I am hopeful at least 1 of you who posts here are raising them as well. There doesn't seem to be much information about this particular breed and what little I have been able to find is vague and rarely if ever includes pictures. What I am in search of some photos of birds that are of the breed standard. Several people post that they are breeding this "rare and extremely endangered" species but most have no clue and just haphazardly mate to make quantity not quality. I got caught in that net once with the infamous Auburn Java and will never fall victim to that trap again. I believe they are in need of our protection but just like the Large Fowl many of us have they should be reproduced in accordance with their breed standard. Which is why I am asking for any assistance or direction to where I can find information from some of you. I hope everyone is enjoying the spring. Have a wonderful day.
Nan

Good afternoon everyone. I have a pair SC Nankin bantams that I would like to raise some chicks from and I am hopeful at least 1 of you who posts here are raising them as well. There doesn't seem to be much information about this particular breed and what little I have been able to find is vague and rarely if ever includes pictures. What I am in search of some photos of birds that are of the breed standard. Several people post that they are breeding this "rare and extremely endangered" species but most have no clue and just haphazardly mate to make quantity not quality. I got caught in that net once with the infamous Auburn Java and will never fall victim to that trap again. I believe they are in need of our protection but just like the Large Fowl many of us have they should be reproduced in accordance with their breed standard. Which is why I am asking for any assistance or direction to where I can find information from some of you. I hope everyone is enjoying the spring. Have a wonderful day.
Nan
I'm no good at finding things on the internet, but if you are, you might search for the APA and then look on their site for the breed SOP for SC Nankin bantams.
Hope you find what you're looking for. =)

I'm no good at finding things on the internet, but if you are, you might search for the APA and then look on their site for the breed SOP for SC Nankin bantams.
Hope you find what you're looking for. =)

Neither the APA or the ABA have breed standard descriptions included in website information. Both organizations rely on Standard sales as a significant revenue sources.
Any serious breeder should invest in a copy of one or both Standards. First because you can't breed successfully without the standard description for your breed & second because buying a Standard helps to support the organizations that make exhibiting possible.
If you aren't ready to buy a new Standard older, used copies are usually available on EBAY or at abe.com. Failing that you may be able to get one on inter-library loan through your local library.

Neither the APA or the ABA have breed standard descriptions included in website information. Both organizations rely on Standard sales as a significant revenue sources.
Any serious breeder should invest in a copy of one or both Standards. First because you can't breed successfully without the standard description for your breed & second because buying a Standard helps to support the organizations that make exhibiting possible.
If you aren't ready to buy a new Standard older, used copies are usually available on EBAY or at abe.com. Failing that you may be able to get one on inter-library loan through your local library.

I have purchased my APA Standard but am currently paying for a wedding so the purchase of the ABA one is on hold. I did howerver purchase the book The Nankin Bantam by Mark A Fields which has the ABA standard description from 1969 written in it. I have read and re-read it many times and from that I can visualize in my minds eye what the bird is suppose to look like but what I am visualizing and what may be correct are two completely different things. It would be very helpful to actually see some birds that are correct to the description. Thank you for the inter-library clue, I would have never thought to look there for a standard.

I have purchased my APA Standard but am currently paying for a wedding so the purchase of the ABA one is on hold. I did howerver purchase the book The Nankin Bantam by Mark A Fields which has the ABA standard description from 1969 written in it. I have read and re-read it many times and from that I can visualize in my minds eye what the bird is suppose to look like but what I am visualizing and what may be correct are two completely different things. It would be very helpful to actually see some birds that are correct to the description. Thank you for the inter-library clue, I would have never thought to look there for a standard.

I have SC Nankins. I'll try to take some pictures.

Walt

Walt you are my hero! I really appreciate the help. I thought I had read a post where you had requested some from another user but can't remember which forum or who the other user was. Franciscreek comes to mind but I honestly haven't had time to read through all the posts. I know he has them and have been out to his website which is my goto place when I am taking notes of the birds I have. Thank you again, I look forward to seeing what I know will be nothing short of amazing birds. Have a wonderful day.
Nan

Heritage is a pretty meaningless term but Modern Game Bantams were included in the first APA Standard in 1874 if that helps you any.

For those that may be interested. This is the ABA census for bantams shown in 2013

2013 BANTAMS EXHIBITED BREED CENSUS
NUMBERS SHOWN IN 2013
OE GAME 31,331
Modern Game 8,565
Call Duck 6,464
Silkie 6,029
Cochin 5,744
Wyandotte 5,416
Plymouth Rock 5,051
Leghorn 3,212
Rhode Island 2,783
Sebright 2,610
Brahma 2,558
Cornish 2,432
Japanese 2,280
Belgian D'Anver 2,269
Dutch 2,092
Serama 2,085
Belgian D'Uccle 1,651
Polish 1,627
Rosecomb 1,391
East Indie 846
Ameraucana 674
Hamburg 673
Langshan 634
Faverolle 603
Orpington 502
Sumatra 492
American Game 474
New Hampshire 395
Booted 336
Mallard 303
Sussex 227
Naked Neck 223
Shamo 179
Phoenix 175
Chantecler 173
Nankin 160
Araucana 159
Dominique 150
Australorp 120
Frizzle 120
Spanish 111
Buttercup 110
Buckeye 87
Lakenvelder 80
Malay 74
Cubalaya 60
Delaware 50
Mandarin 43
Campine 30
Sultan 30
Ancona 25
Lafleche 24
Minorca 22
Andalusian 21
Aseel 20
Orloff 11
Carolina Wood 9
Crevecouer 9
Houdan 7
Dorking 2
Yokohama -

Walt

I have a flock of three Cochin Bantams (one rooster and two pullets). They're all about 19 weeks old. He's been crowing for weeks (almost a month now); when can I expect them to start laying (approximately)?

Back
Top Bottom