Heritage breed that has a decent amount of breast meat?

I roasted and fried 4 to 5 month old hens and roosters from Dark Cornish, Buff Orpington, Breese, Jersey Giant, Barbeziuex and they were all chewy, not tender like Cornish X at 8 weeks old. Home grown heritage breeds are best stewed or used for soup.

I roasted and fried 4 to 5 month old hens and roosters from Dark Cornish, Buff Orpington, Breese, Jersey Giant, Barbeziuex and they were all chewy, not tender like Cornish X at 8 weeks old. Home grown heritage breeds are best stewed or used for soup.
Hi CNJ,

There are many better ways to cook Barbezieux, though...

Dish - 6 people
Total time: 35 minutes

Preparation time: 15 minutes

Cooking time: 20 minutes

Difficulty: Easy

Ingredients :

1 Barbezieux chicken (1.5 to 2 kg), cut into pieces (detach the thighs, separate them in 2 at the joint, lift the whites)
2 large shallots or 1 shallot, peeled and cut into thin strips
3 to 5 cl of cognac
10 cl white pineau vinegar
20 cl of chicken stock
10 cl white Pineau des Charentes
1 tablespoon of purple mustard (from Brive)
10 cl of liquid cream
30 to 50 g of butter in pieces
Sunflower oil
Butter
Fine salt
Ground pepper

Description :

Brown the chicken pieces dry or in a little hot oil then put them aside.

Melt the shallots in a little butter in a casserole dish until tender and add the chicken (slightly salt because of the broth). Heat everything then flambé with cognac. Pour in the vinegar and mix well. Cover and let the vinegar reduce for a few minutes (until about ¾).

Add the chicken stock, pineau, mustard, bring to the boil, mixing everything together. Lower the heat and cover, leaving on the heat for about 15 to 20 minutes.

Uncover and continue for 5 minutes uncovered.

Remove the chicken pieces and place them on a platter, keeping it warm.

Increase the heat under the casserole and incorporate the cream. Lower the heat and whisk in the butter,

Adjust the seasoning if necessary. Pour a little sauce over the chicken and serve the rest in a sauce boat.

Accompanied in season with sautéed potatoes from the Île de Ré, or forgotten vegetables (parsnips, Jerusalem artichokes... to which you can add an apple cut into cubes), or even asparagus.

And, roasted right, NHR (heritage) are amongst the best roasted chicken meals you can get! :)

This is my Pearl White Butterball heritage line that I am working on, he hit 12lbs at 5 months old. I'll know if I am able to lock it down on the third generation chicks from my future F3 father/daughter selection. I am currently raising chicks from the first brother/sister hatch. However, I already have two female chicks that meet my selection criteria. They have white legs like their father in the picture and are nice and plump. I will use these to set the first generation father/daughter line.
DSCN0590.JPG

Last edited:
Hi CNJ,

There are many better ways to cook Barbezieux, though...

Dish - 6 people
Total time: 35 minutes

Preparation time: 15 minutes

Cooking time: 20 minutes

Difficulty: Easy

Ingredients :

1 Barbezieux chicken (1.5 to 2 kg), cut into pieces (detach the thighs, separate them in 2 at the joint, lift the whites)
2 large shallots or 1 shallot, peeled and cut into thin strips
3 to 5 cl of cognac
10 cl white pineau vinegar
20 cl of chicken stock
10 cl white Pineau des Charentes
1 tablespoon of purple mustard (from Brive)
10 cl of liquid cream
30 to 50 g of butter in pieces
Sunflower oil
Butter
Fine salt
Ground pepper

Description :

Brown the chicken pieces dry or in a little hot oil then put them aside.

Melt the shallots in a little butter in a casserole dish until tender and add the chicken (slightly salt because of the broth). Heat everything then flambé with cognac. Pour in the vinegar and mix well. Cover and let the vinegar reduce for a few minutes (until about ¾).

Add the chicken stock, pineau, mustard, bring to the boil, mixing everything together. Lower the heat and cover, leaving on the heat for about 15 to 20 minutes.

Uncover and continue for 5 minutes uncovered.

Remove the chicken pieces and place them on a platter, keeping it warm.

Increase the heat under the casserole and incorporate the cream. Lower the heat and whisk in the butter,

Adjust the seasoning if necessary. Pour a little sauce over the chicken and serve the rest in a sauce boat.

Accompanied in season with sautéed potatoes from the Île de Ré, or forgotten vegetables (parsnips, Jerusalem artichokes... to which you can add an apple cut into cubes), or even asparagus.

And, roasted right, NHR (heritage) are amongst the best roasted chicken meals you can get! :)
That sounds delicious. I'll have to give that a go! We were on Paris over Easter meeting up with family from Sydney and I cooked a chicken for us. We had very little in the way of ingredients so instead of stock I used a bottle of alcohol free beer, florence fennel, shallots, tarragon and a dash of single cream. It was pretty good washed down with Poilly Fumee.

Back
Top Bottom