Heritage & Exhibition Turkey Thread

OK, I just remembered something I was studying at the last show I went to at Stevenson, WA..I did not bring birds for this show.
I studied the birds I was most intereted in..especially the turkeys.
At this show, someone mentioned these judges here called for the turkeys to "be benched"
Someone else asked "what is that?"
and she responded that the bird must be brought to a table, and laid on it's back, whereas the turkey will just lay there, and then the judge can feel it's breast, keel. thigh meat, etc.
This judge was most interested in the bird's meat.
Last show I went to before that, the turkeys were not "benched" but "felt" while standing in their pens.
I want to ask those who have shown turkeys alot, any pointers on "benching"
I came home from the Stevenson show & scooped a turkey up in my arms, slowly turned her over, and laid her on her back on the ground.
She did in fact, just lay there for several minutes!
I was amazed!!!!!!!!!!

Me either, except for this way:

more fun:

This has a part #1 & a part #2, here is part #1:

Oh found part #3:

Note, this is 4-H showmanship, and not something we adults do, correct?

Then saw this one:

Another note:
After watching these, I am wondering if the particular judge I overheard speak of, just had issues with bending down, maybe bad knees
tongue.png

Boy can I ever relate to that!
He apparently as I overheard it, wanted the birds laid on their backs on a table which was brought in for that purpose.
I missed it, but just heard the turkey showers talking about it afterwards.

Last edited:
Hey, two stupid questions for you...
what is the thingy called which grows out of the Tom's breast, in my case a MW, so it is a black growth with stiff "hairs" on it, what is it called?
And two, what do you call the puffs of air a Tom shoots out of his nose while strutting?
lau.gif

Turkeys are so cool.
lol.png

I cannot walk amongst them without laughing, and when I laugh, they all gobble in answer.

Quote:
The same thing as the stiff hairs on your husband's face: a beard.

Missed the second question....its called snot...buggers ...etc

Arg!
They do not have snot & boogers!
lol.png

I am referring to the air they puff from their nostrils onto their snood while strutting...they foof air.
I just call it foofing, but wondered if it had a proper name.

Quote:

Arg!
lol.png

I am referring to the air they puff from their nostrils onto their snood while strutting...they foof air.

Not sure what the "proper" term is. I do know what you are talking about.

Just remember, the only "stupid" question is the one you don't ask. I recall when I did not know what the long thingy hanging from the turkey's head was. At least you know a turkey has a snood!

Quote:
Arg!
lol.png

Not sure what the "proper" term is. I do know what you are talking about.

Just remember, the only "stupid" question is the one you don't ask. I recall when I did not know what the long thingy hanging from the turkey's head was. At least you know a turkey has a snood!

lau.gif
this is fun, is it not?
Get this, I have raised turkeys numerous times over my life.
Time before this, was my 10 year old daughter raising 8 poults in Newport WA area, severe cold & long winters.
But we got the babies in early spring & she adopted them as her own.
4 commercial whites & 4 bronze.
They imprinted & followed her everywhere..running after when she went to the school bus
lol.png

The deal was we butchered the week before Thanksgiving, never over wintered, and had customers waiting.
Daughter was very good at it, a true pioneer farm girl.
But as far as seriously taking note of seperate personalities, breeding & so on, I have never given it a secong thought.
They were merely raised as one raises Cornish X Meat chicks.
My turkeys have stolen my heart.
Kids are grown & gone....but I have my birds, dog & DH.
Surprisingly, DH loves the turkeys, says he can live without so many chickens.
smile.png

Last edited:
Quote:

lau.gif

He bes making fun of me!!!!!!!
lau.gif

Back
Top Bottom