Heritage & Exhibition Turkey Thread

I am referring to the air they puff from their nostrils onto their snood while strutting...they foof air.
I just call it foofing, but wondered if it had a proper name.

That sound is known as Spitting, usually Drumming will follow the spitting in mature toms.. these terms are used esp in a wild turkey hunters world

wildeasternsbrownorps011.jpg

wildeasternsbrownorps056.jpg

Last edited:
Thank you! And someone who lives in the ....wilds of pa....should know. I am not a hunter. Was as a child, but just can't afford poultry and hunting as a hobby. Love wild game meat, just can't afford all the accessories.

Quote:
It's more commonly known as table judging. It used to be the way turkeys were judged all the time. Today it is seldom done. At Crossroads I in 06, the turkeys were table judged. The birds are usually not placed on their backs. Held by their legs, breast down on the table, titled over to one side, still allows the judge to feel the keel and breast, and check the tail shape and color, and primary color on hens or cocks which won't display in the pens. Obviously this is the only way for the judge to do such a thorough examination, as he cannot remove the birds easily like they do for chickens. Some of the old turkey books have photos of turkeys being table judged.
There are few who care that much about turkey judging anymore to even give it that much thought, but some purists believe that table judging is the way that it "should" be done, as in the old days. I disagree. First, it breaks anonymity, the judge obviously seeing who the exhibitor is. Second, there is a good chance that a well conditioned bird might ruin feather condition in the struggle to get the bird out quickly to get up to the table. A lot of novice exhibitors just don't yet have the skills to easily handle their birds without damage.
BTW, they also used to have classes for Standard meat birds, in which the birds were judged traditionally one day, then processed and brought back to be judged as a carcass the next. I can't imagine the logistics of doing that at today's shows.

I have seen my toms spitting, did not know that they were spitting, until my neighbor pointed it out, and I have been paying attention since then.
lol.png
Miss my turkeys.
sad.png

But I am going to order some poults from Porter's Rare Heritage Turkeys. Their flocks are MG-free!
woot.gif
I will order Bourbon Reds, and maybe Red Slate.

Last edited:
Quote:
It's more commonly known as table judging. It used to be the way turkeys were judged all the time. Today it is seldom done. At Crossroads I in 06, the turkeys were table judged. The birds are usually not placed on their backs. Held by their legs, breast down on the table, titled over to one side, still allows the judge to feel the keel and breast, and check the tail shape and color, and primary color on hens or cocks which won't display in the pens. Obviously this is the only way for the judge to do such a thorough examination, as he cannot remove the birds easily like they do for chickens. Some of the old turkey books have photos of turkeys being table judged.
There are few who care that much about turkey judging anymore to even give it that much thought, but some purists believe that table judging is the way that it "should" be done, as in the old days. I disagree. First, it breaks anonymity, the judge obviously seeing who the exhibitor is. Second, there is a good chance that a well conditioned bird might ruin feather condition in the struggle to get the bird out quickly to get up to the table. A lot of novice exhibitors just don't yet have the skills to easily handle their birds without damage.
BTW, they also used to have classes for Standard meat birds, in which the birds were judged traditionally one day, then processed and brought back to be judged as a carcass the next. I can't imagine the logistics of doing that at today's shows.

Sounds interesting. At this Crossroads every turkey was removed from the coop and handled by the judge. That is one reason several were DQ for crooked keels.

Would table judging be something the ETF should consider for its nationals?

I believe flipping the bird & holding it upside down would ruin feathers also.
And it seems it would be an awful strain on the heavy toms, maybe even damage legs.
Maybe laying on the table is easier for exhibitor and bird.
I also do not think exhibitors were the ones to bench the birds.
I think at that show the two judges had several asisstants who handled the birds.
As long as they were experienced handlers (not inexperienced kids) I think I would agree on that.

Thanks Wilds of PA, and BTW, gorgeous birds!!

Last edited:
Well I got my new tom and hen moved to their new pen today and darn if the hen didn't find a way through the top netting. I am hoping she won't go to far with him calling.

Quote:
You bring up some good points. As rare as table judging is today, it's rarer still to find experienced handlers. Like I said, even a lot of turkey exhibitors don't know how to properly restrain their own birds. In the old days, shows did have more experienced handlers, but often the exhibitors still did handle their own birds. I would be very hesitant to allow anyone else to handle my birds for table judging. Some show management are afraid to handle turkeys to bring them up to CH Row even. I know one judge who is terrified of handling turkeys and waterfowl. He doesn't know how to to it properly, and he isn't interested in learning. His philosophy is that if he doesn't handle them, he isn't going to ruin their feather quality.

Quote:
Do you have any wild turkeys on the "beach" that may sway her to leave? hens have been known to follow a wild tom with their own tom calling them.

My hen was back this morning, scratching around the outside of the pen. I opened another pen door and with the help of a Buckeye cockerel, would you believe, got her in the pen and from there was able to catch her and put her back with the Tom. She is missing half of one of her toes, but appears otherwise ok.

Back
Top Bottom