Heritage & Exhibition Turkey Thread

Quote:
We ordered some 3x4 egg cartons for shipping eggs from www.eggcartons.com and added a pop bottle waterer. That is the strap that came with the bottle. If we have any issues with it, we will add a zip tie.

Have you joined the Exhibition Turkey Fanciers? The info is in my signature line.

We are planning a great showing at Crossroads. The Arkansas State Fair usually has a good showing of turkeys. especially this year. We are supposed to get a mature pair of Narragansett this summer so we can start showing a display of turkeys at the shows. We can then compete for champion display as well as the turkey awards. Rarely do you see any turkey displays.

The Heritage Poultry Conservancy has donated BIG money for Champion Display Turkey and has yet to award the money. This year we WANT that money!
droolin.gif

Last edited:
I haven't yet, but I will be joining soon!

I won't be showing, but I will be at the Crossroads Show (even if I have to go by myself!). Can't wait to see all the poultry and meet lots of new people.
smile.png

Good luck with your Narragansett! Hope you do get that prize money!

Though I would like that prize money, I am just hopeful someone will get it. No winners of Champion Display Turkey at any show last year that we attended.

But then there were NO displays of turkeys at any show we attended.

Last edited:
We will start showing ours in September at the county fair. A bit young, but at least we will have Turkeys there. I think they should be close to mature. At the worst the judge can write "age" on the coop tag.

Everyone who shows poultry and has turkeys should at least show the turkeys at their county fair.

TO JimsFarmStand
I think they should be close to mature. At the worst the judge can write "age" on the coop tag. What does "age" mean? Too young? Too small?

Everyone who shows poultry and has turkeys should at least show the turkeys at their county fair.

We have a big county fair that we attend, as spectators, every couple years; its fun for the kids as there is a cattle barn, horse pulling, rabbits and poultry barns; I have not seen a turkey there YET. My boys are honing their skills on the chickens right now as they do chores. How do we learn the show stuff? 4H? (Sorry this is totally new to us.)​

Hi, we have Bronze and Narragansett poults, they are 6 weeks old now. I was wanting to know if I can let them free range like my chickens, or will they wander off. Right now they are in a small area and I would like to be able to let them out on grass.

Quote:
We have a big county fair that we attend, as spectators, every couple years; its fun for the kids as there is a cattle barn, horse pulling, rabbits and poultry barns; I have not seen a turkey there YET. My boys are honing their skills on the chickens right now as they do chores. How do we learn the show stuff? 4H? (Sorry this is totally new to us.)

Contact your county extension/4H office. The 4H agent will be able to assit you in showing on the county level.

For Poultry Shows and exhibition information contact your American Poultry Association (APA) District Director at:

District 1
(CT, MA, ME, NH, RI, VT)
Mark Podgwaite
P.O. Box 331
Northfield, VT 05663
802/225-8344
[email protected]

Or the APA State Rep at: MA- Rhodes, Robert R. 133 Millville St, Mendon, MA 01756

Quote:
When our poults are fully feathered, we will place them in a small paddock. Enough room to range, but with safety fencing. You still have to protect against owls, hawks etc. I would not suggest a total free ranging until at least 3-4 months old. Even then, smaller paddocks are better. This allows them to graze the grass down in one while the grass is growing in another. In cattle/sheep circles its called rotational grazing.

Back
Top Bottom