Heritage & Exhibition Turkey Thread

1) Turkeys do not have breeds, but varieties. Turkey is the breed.

2) Merriam's are a wild type variety. Narragansett is one of the oldest known varieties, developed over 400 years ago. Wild type usually takes longer to develop and mature than domestic type. they are also much smaller.

3) Have never heard of any studies on this. I would suggest you order both varieties and do your own "study". Then report back to use which variety feathers out quicker.

Thanks for the whole thing about the wild vs. domestic, that definitely adds to the equation.But as I have limited money (teen), I can't necessarily get both. Also, sorry about the whole breed/variety can of worms, pretty smart about poultry from reading and having a flock of chickens, just a simple mistype.

frow.gif

Just got our first two Midget Whites this week. My son is thrilled as he was the real culprit for getting turkeys here. I am very new to them. We had one cross this year we got as a poult but it had a leg issue so we processed it. This pair is lovely so far just not friendly like they are supposed to be.

Redirections to other threads of useful information pertaining to the best keeping of this variety is appreciated. I do alright with animals, well with plants but not so hot with computers :)

frow.gif

Just got our first two Midget Whites this week. My son is thrilled as he was the real culprit for getting turkeys here. I am very new to them. We had one cross this year we got as a poult but it had a leg issue so we processed it. This pair is lovely so far just not friendly like they are supposed to be.

Redirections to other threads of useful information pertaining to the best keeping of this variety is appreciated. I do alright with animals, well with plants but not so hot with computers :)
ashandvine, who did you get your midgets from? I am particularly interested in them for feed conversion and processing and general simpler-to-keep-with-chickens aspects, so want to get hold of a pair or a trio of good quality.

I bought mine local. They aren't an easy find. There are a few people here raising BB and Palms and even a few Black Spanish but they won't have poults till early next year as far as I know. I can ask. I plan to breed as well but have never shipped anything so.... get back to me later if you don't find someone.
Of course... first I have to convince them to breed and before that they need to survive the winter.

I was really hoping this thread would be a bit more alive. I have questions that aren't being answered in another thread which also seems rather stale. Anyone want to talk turkey with me??

I was really hoping this thread would be a bit more alive. I have questions that aren't being answered in another thread which also seems rather stale. Anyone want to talk turkey with me?
I've never had the midgets, trying to get some beltsville small white started. In the past I have had royal palm and bourbon red. I have also raised some commercial white and bronze.

Back
Top Bottom