Heritage Large Fowl - Phase II

Hi Karen, Going by your avatar you will notice that you need more black in the tail also. I would suggest that you go for more black in the wing, tail and hackle and when you raise enough you can start pick and choosing your breeders according to what you are working with. Keep in mind that all three of the Black feather areas work together. If you are weak in one area usually all three areas will be lacking a bit in color. The height of the Hackle you will have to work on with the process of elimination. I like to use a breeding male that has good dark black secondary and primary wing feathers. If you have a specific question let me know and will try and answer best I can. Don
Don, Please keep posting. This thread is for all...beginners and more mature breeders. We need the pillars of the various breeds to post here. We all learn. Thank you !

Quote: I think it is possible your hens are morning layers and the eggs are freezing. My ducks are pre dawn layers and their eggs have been freezing the past couple of weeks. It seems like no matter how early we get out there after dawn, the eggs are laid and quite cold if not frozen. I'm not getting up before dawn to collect 2 eggs though.

Hi Karen, Going by your avatar you will notice that you need more black in the tail also. I would suggest that you go for more black in the wing, tail and hackle and when you raise enough you can start pick and choosing your breeders according to what you are working with. Keep in mind that all three of the Black feather areas work together. If you are weak in one area usually all three areas will be lacking a bit in color. The height of the Hackle you will have to work on with the process of elimination. I like to use a breeding male that has good dark black secondary and primary wing feathers. If you have a specific question let me know and will try and answer best I can. Don
Hi Don,
Thank you so much for answering. I really appreciate it. I wasn't aware my pullet needed more black in her tail.
Now I know. Just nothing in depth out there on managing the black parts in eWh S/S Co/Co. Just can't find any
help until now with how the black and white wing color affects the black parts.
Gratefully,
Karen

I think it is possible your hens are morning layers and the eggs are freezing. My ducks are pre dawn layers and their eggs have been freezing the past couple of weeks. It seems like no matter how early we get out there after dawn, the eggs are laid and quite cold if not frozen. I'm not getting up before dawn to collect 2 eggs though.
Do you think adjusting my light I have out there could turn them into to later layers? I have it extend the day until 9ish and then turn on real early in morning( don't remember when exactly ). I counted it out and made sure they get enough 'rest' time. This weekend I'll go out multiple times nice and early and hopefully get no broken eggs.

Quote: Hi Karen, Going by your avatar you will notice that you need more black in the tail also. I would suggest that you go for more black in the wing, tail and hackle and when you raise enough you can start pick and choosing your breeders according to what you are working with. Keep in mind that all three of the Black feather areas work together. If you are weak in one area usually all three areas will be lacking a bit in color. The height of the Hackle you will have to work on with the process of elimination. I like to use a breeding male that has good dark black secondary and primary wing feathers. If you have a specific question let me know and will try and answer best I can. Don
Just remembered something on the Columbians, Wyandotte, Rock and Cochin. The black feathers that show up outside of the Cape are very much not wanted. If at all possible cull these from your flock. If you ever notice a judge looking at the columbians in a show looking from above the chicken he is checking for back width and also to see if the feathers that are black are showing outside the cape. just eliminate these if you can.

Just remembered something on the Columbians, Wyandotte, Rock and Cochin. The black feathers that show up outside of the Cape are very much not wanted. If at all possible cull these from your flock. If you ever notice a judge looking at the columbians in a show looking from above the chicken he is checking for back width and also to see if the feathers that are black are showing outside the cape. just eliminate these if you can.
Sticking this in my knowledge quiver! Thank you!
Best,
Karen

I think the current movements by the FDA about OTC meds for livestock will eventually improve the market and interests in hardier, heritage strain livestock but I think there will definitely be an adjustment period for those dependent upon them in their livestock management practices. Anyone know how soon these new laws will be implemented?

A dual breed question. One of the pullets has decided to go broody. Too early and I will deal with that....frankly, I don't mind much because she is keeping the eggs from freezing between gatherings, smile. but... Ok, until now all the pullets have looked the same when viewed from the front. They are 7 1/2 to 8 1/2 months old. Last night I went out to look at them again and one ( don't know if she is the one laying) has become wide in the breast when viewed from the front. It's really noticeable. Has this pullet suddenly matured? Does this happen when they start to go broody? All of them are laying so it can't be that, can it? Do females "let down" in the breast when they start to go broody? I know the internal organs swell when laying. Can I be seeing this? However, the other girls are also laying and look the same as they did last week. No one is sick. This pullet just suddenly looks "mature". They all get the same feed and lodging.
Thanks,
Karen

Speckled Sussex Alert!

I just found the contact info on another
source of quality LF Speckled Sussex.
Alan Estep sourced his birds from quality
breeders and had big plans for them
last time we conversed on the Net.
Alan lives in Broadway, Virginia.

Private message me for his contact info.
Best Regards,
Karen

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom