Heritage Large Fowl - Phase II

Well I look at it this way. Basically, a hen has to lay an egg. So sooner or later she is gonna lay that egg. I can encourage her with lights...or not.. If I don't use lights I will find the hens which lay regardless. I may find more birds which lay regardless of light or weather. I just look for females which lay more eggs regardless of the weather . Hopefully their get will do the same. Like begets like. The more artificial stuff I do to my birds, the more variables I add in to my decision making in my breeding program. Who cares if she misses a day or two? She's not a robot. As long as the weather doesn't disturb her laying to a noticeable extent, then she's the hen for my program. I think weather ( and the disturbances in temp it brings with it) is a larger worry than the lack of a couple hours of light. JMHO.
Best,
Karen in frigid western PA

Well I look at it this way. Basically, a hen has to lay an egg. So sooner or later she is gonna lay that egg. I can encourage her with lights...or not.. If I don't use lights I will find the hens which lay regardless. I may find more birds which lay regardless of light or weather. I just look for females which lay more eggs regardless of the weather . Hopefully their get will do the same. Like begets like. The more artificial stuff I do to my birds, the more variables I add in to my decision making in my breeding program. Who cares if she misses a day or two? She's not a robot. As long as the weather doesn't disturb her laying to a noticeable extent, then she's the hen for my program. I think weather ( and the disturbances in temp it brings with it) is a larger worry than the lack of a couple hours of light. JMHO.
Best,
Karen in frigid western PA

So you are encouraging that trait in your heritage lines? For those who use light in the winter, how do they isolate birds that will lay without that encouragement? Or do most heritage line breeders in colder climates use lights? Maybe I'm searching for a ghost....

I apologize if these questions have already been asked repeatedly before, it just occurred to me that someone in my climate might need to look for heritage lines or breeds that have been specifically bred for that particular trait if I am to have any degree of success in raising heritage breeds myself...without lighting them, of course.

Last edited:
So you are encouraging that trait in your heritage lines? For those who use light in the winter, how do they isolate birds that will lay without that encouragement? Or do most heritage line breeders in colder climates use lights? Maybe I'm searching for a ghost....

I apologize if these questions have already been asked repeatedly before, it just occurred to me that someone in my climate might need to look for heritage lines or breeds that have been specifically bred for that particular trait if I am to have any degree of success in raising heritage breeds myself...without lighting them, of course.

You are not looking for a ghost.

If you decided that you were interested, I would gift you some Cats to try.

I also have heard people compliment the Dorkings on this subject.

I've heard others say Buckeyes will lay well in the winter months but I've also heard they aren't known for exceptional laying overall. I'm wondering if there is a dual purpose, hardy breed that is known for both? I know that hatchery mutt BAs will do well in laying during the winter months and my WRs from the hatchery did as well, while still laying exceptionally overall, but I'd really like to try getting that same trait in heritage lines if that is at all possible.

I did not discuss it with them. There was an egg in the box when I met them in Va though. Dec 21. LOL.
lol.png
Obviously not stressed easily either!

Back
Top Bottom