Heritage Large Fowl - Phase II

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by juststruttin, Oct 20, 2013.

1. brahmabreeder

brahmabreeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2012
    Northeast Ohio
    x2

2. 3riverschick

3riverschick Poultry Lit Chaser

May 19, 2009
    western PA
    My Coop
    Thank you! I will check out their website!
    Karen

3. BGMatt

BGMatt Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2013
    Battle Ground, WA
    Maybe it's just because I'm breeding for more than just the next generation. My older birds are my laying flock which puts eggs on my table, and produces eggs to sell. I do sell chicks to folks looking for backyard layers, and one of the biggest attractions of heritage fowl is a longer productive life cycle, I don't see how you can guarantee that without making sure your older birds are actually producing. The last function my older birds serve is as a back-up plan. If you're doing everything right, be it for standards, production, or whatever other quality, or combination of qualities you're breeding for your younger generations should be superior, however, if somehow it doesn't work out (you selected wrong breeders, chanced into a weird recessive combination that popped up, made an outcross that didn't work, etc etc) You can go back to your old birds and try again. It can happen a couple years down the road, if you don't like where your line is going, you go back to a couple older generations and take a different path.

4 people like this.
  4. catdaddyfro

catdaddyfro Overrun With Chickens

Sep 16, 2009
    Vernon Parish
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by catdaddyfro [​IMG]

LOL great analogy Matt. I myself think a Camaro with anything in it other than the baddest azz, nastiest, performance version of a V-8 engine offered at the time

Jeff
    hot rod jargon LOL not anywhere near chicken lingo for sure, LOL

Jeff

Last edited: Jan 2, 2014
  5. LindaB220

LindaB220 Overrun With Chickens

Aug 23, 2013
    Portland/Vancouver area
    Neat idea, Thanks. [​IMG]

6. hellbender

hellbender Overrun With Chickens

Sep 2, 2013
    Grinder's Switch
    This is a good start..http://shokutaku42.blogspot.com/2011/09/confit-de-poulet-chicken-confit.html.

The pressure cooked bones and the slurry would a delight for the dogs...in moderation.

7. hellbender

Sep 2, 2013
    Grinder's Switch
    [​IMG]

8. LindaB220

LindaB220 Overrun With Chickens

Aug 23, 2013
    Portland/Vancouver area
    Just saw that about your son, and I'm thrilled for you. I know your were worried. [​IMG]

9. hellbender

Sep 2, 2013
    Grinder's Switch
    Thank you and the others so very much! Yes I was worried and I'm still worried. I'll have no real peace 'til I pick him up at the airport in Pittsburgh.

2 people like this.
  10. brahmabreeder

brahmabreeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2012
    Northeast Ohio
    UGHHHHHHHH there was snow in the coop!! Nice fine layer on the floor. It's all coming in through the top due to the gale force winds. I feel bad but I am at a loss as to what to do. The entire coop roof doesn't set flush. We did that on purpose to allow for ventilation. This obviously isn't a normal occurrence in the weather so normally it wouldn't be an issue. Any ideas?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by