Heritage Large Fowl - Phase II

I got my bantam girls all sold and so was able to get their pen cleaned up and slightly rearranged to better suit large fowl. Last night I moved all the girls I'm keeping into that pen plus the only adult large fowl male I have left.

I think the heat this morning did keep them from going at it too badly. There was only one small scuffle and then they all settled down very quickly and stood around panting. I was rather amazed that it ended so soon. I'm definitely glad too! Right now its 101. We're supposed to hit 105 by the heat of the day (4pm). At 7am it was already getting very hot. I don't know what the temperature was but the yard on that side of the building faces east and that sun was a super furnace right off! Their yard area has shade cloth over it so it is mostly shaded. I think I need to hang some on the eastern fence so that while the sun is still low in the sky, their yard will be more shaded.

I got my bantam girls all sold and so was able to get their pen cleaned up and slightly rearranged to better suit large fowl.  Last night I moved all the girls I'm keeping into that pen plus the only adult large fowl male I have left. 

I think the heat this morning did keep them from going at it too badly.  There was only one small scuffle and then they all settled down very quickly and stood around panting.  I was rather amazed that it ended so soon.  I'm definitely glad too!  Right now its 101.  We're supposed to hit 105 by the heat of the day (4pm).  At 7am it was already getting very hot.  I don't know what the temperature was but the yard on that side of the building faces east and that sun was a super furnace right off!  Their yard area has shade cloth over it so it is mostly shaded.  I think I need to hang some on the eastern fence so that while the sun is still low in the sky, their yard will be more shaded.
maybe the common enemy (the heat) was more of a threat than eachother.

Where do you get shade cloth? Is that what it's called if I were to go to a store and ask for it?

I got my bantam girls all sold and so was able to get their pen cleaned up and slightly rearranged to better suit large fowl.  Last night I moved all the girls I'm keeping into that pen plus the only adult large fowl male I have left. 

I think the heat this morning did keep them from going at it too badly.  There was only one small scuffle and then they all settled down very quickly and stood around panting.  I was rather amazed that it ended so soon.  I'm definitely glad too!  Right now its 101.  We're supposed to hit 105 by the heat of the day (4pm).  At 7am it was already getting very hot.  I don't know what the temperature was but the yard on that side of the building faces east and that sun was a super furnace right off!  Their yard area has shade cloth over it so it is mostly shaded.  I think I need to hang some on the eastern fence so that while the sun is still low in the sky, their yard will be more shaded.
maybe the common enemy (the heat) was more of a threat than eachother.

Where do you get shade cloth? Is that what it's called if I were to go to a store and ask for it?
Our Lowes has it, you can buy it pre sized with finished edges or off rolls by the foot. They also have all the grommets, etc to finish it yourself. Ours have it in the outdoor garden section.

I have not been happy with the shade cloth I bought at Lowe's, as it is not shady enough, although it claimed to block 70% of the light. Has anyone tried the shade cloth from Farm-tek? I plan to set up a new pen this week, and was planning to order one of the more opaque shade cloths from them.
Best wishes,
Angela

I have not been happy with the shade cloth I bought at Lowe's, as it is not shady enough, although it claimed to block 70% of the light. Has anyone tried the shade cloth from Farm-tek? I plan to set up a new pen this week, and was planning to order one of the more opaque shade cloths from them.
Best wishes,
Angela

I am using Shelter Logic from Home Depot. It blocks 85% of Harmful Rays.

It works fine too.

anything is better than full sun!

The important thing to look for is the amount is blocks and that the shade cloth allows air flow. If the breeze can't get to the birds, It will be worse for them than having now cloth.

Tomorrow it will be 106 here. Today was only 104.....

Best wishes,
Angela

A few years ago the shade cloth they had was much thicker and provided better shade. What they are selling now I have to double up and put two layers on to get the same level of deeper shade that I get with the panels from the old stuff I had.

Haven't tried the Farm-Tek stuff, mostly because when I need more shade cloth, I need it right away and can't wait for shipping.

The important thing to look for is the amount is blocks and that the shade cloth allows air flow. If the breeze can't get to the birds, It will be worse for them than having now cloth.

Tomorrow it will be 106 here. Today was only 104.....

Very true. I cut my side panels off at 2 feet above the ground. I've found it works the best to still allow good air flow at ground level where the chickens usually are, while still providing plenty of shade as the sun tracks through the sky. Tried leaving the shade cloth hanging all the way to the ground, but loose so the wind could blow it up - still couldn't get enough air flow to go throw and it would just plaster the shade cloth to the wire and break all the wind, but rolling it up 2 ft did the trick.

Back
Top Bottom