Heritage Large Fowl - Phase II

Yep, gotta remember air flow.

Today's 103 was apparently a record breaker for here on that date. Tomorrow's record is 103 and they're projecting 104.

Tonight at feeding time (they hadn't even finished their breakfast) I watered down everybody's runs. The large fowl I had to chase out into their unfamiliar run and lock them out of the coop for a couple of hours so they could cool down. Tomorrow, I'll start the day by wetting their runs and let it get some evaporative action going on. Maybe mid day I can get out there and do it again.

edited to add: I just read a report that stated it was 108 today! Ugh! I don't doubt that. What horrible heat!

Last edited:
We're so humid in summertime here in NC! It's not uncommon for high 90's and humidity levels of near 100%. I'm thinking I'll get a solar panel from Harbor Freight and some O2 12vdc fans from Walmart or Target to aid air flow this summer. We're still talking about proper orientation of the coop and pen to provide proper light and shade. Yikes! So much to consider for when they cannot free range I the backyard.

Hi !
frow.gif

I have always kept my large fowl Light Sussex chicks on paper or drawer liner until 2 weeks old or more. It's summer and these floorings are getting gunky real fast. What do you think about keeping the one and 2 week olds on large size kiln dried hardwood chips at this age?( the white bale at Tractor Supply) I was just thinking things would be more pleasant for the chicks and myself that way. Too young? Ok?
Thanks for your input,
Karen

Hi !
frow.gif

I have always kept my large fowl Light Sussex chicks on paper or drawer liner until 2 weeks old or more. It's summer and these floorings are getting gunky real fast. What do you think about keeping the one and 2 week olds on large size kiln dried hardwood chips at this age?( the white bale at Tractor Supply) I was just thinking things would be more pleasant for the chicks and myself that way. Too young? Ok?
Thanks for your input,
Karen
Mine are on paper towels for the first week and then I use the pine shavings from TSC. You can also use stall dry to help keep things fresh.

Mine are on paper towels for the first week and then I use the pine shavings from TSC. You can also use stall dry to help keep things fresh.
I never thought of the stall fresh ! What a great idea! What form is it in? granules, or? Will the chicks eat it? do I need to worry about that?
Thanks!
Karen

Hi !
frow.gif

Thanks for your input,
Karen

I can't imagine keeping large fowl chicks on that type of flooring to that age. I have kept mine on heavy duty paper towel for the first 3 days so they learn where the food is instead of eating wood chips, but after that I switch to a small to medium sized wood shaving. Times I have put them directly on wood shavings from the hatcher and had no problems. They do kick a lot of the wood shavings into the water, though
sad.png

I can't imagine keeping large fowl chicks on that type of flooring to that age. I have kept mine on heavy duty paper towel for the first 3 days so they learn where the food is instead of eating wood chips, but after that I switch to a small to medium sized wood shaving. Times I have put them directly on wood shavings from the hatcher and had no problems. They do kick a lot of the wood shavings into the water, though
sad.png
Well then maybe it is time for me to change the way I do things. I have always worried the
little ones would eat the shavings and get impacted. But if ya'll aren't seeing that problem,
then maybe my "better safe than sorry" system isn't necessary. Yeah, I do change a lot of
waterers at any age. Amazing how fast these chips soak up the water
wink.png

Best,
Karen

Last edited:
Well then maybe it is time for me to change the way I do things. I have always worried the
little ones would eat the shavings and get impacted. But if ya'll aren't seeing that problem,
then maybe my "better safe than sorry" system isn't necessary.
Best,
Karen

Yes, I believe you are making it hard on yourself. I have grown out hundreds of chicks this year and have just lost the occasional bird that you would expect when raising so many, but not from them eating wood shavings.

sad.png

Ditto on this, I buy the stall shavings and you do have to put the waterer higher and higher. Ha.
Just heard my first pip on the 18 blue egg layers. Getting ready.
celebrate.gif

Back
Top Bottom