Better to have large rooster or small rooster

PaisleyChickMama

Songster
Oct 1, 2022
Zearing Iowa
I’m trying to weigh out my options. I want a cost effective but self sustainable flock. Egg production is important and down the line I would like to have the option for meat production as well. Well I’m stuck between a rooster like a leghorn or a black Jersey giant. The rest of my hens are going to be mixed. Susssex, Orpington, whiting blue, leghorn, etc. some of these are just for eggs like the leghorn but if mixed with a Jersey giant rooster then the offspring of all of them will be larger than the hen theoretically. But also i would say my current rooster is the biggest free loader. I would hate to feed a Jersey giant and not get eggs from it. What do you guys think?

Big rooster = protection and the chick babies are good breed mix

Small rooster = less free loading because less food intake but also means less protection

Take into consideration a Jersey Giant Roo can weigh 13 to 15 pounds compared to the size of your hens. Giants because of their weight have been known to break their legs jumping off the roost. I would rather a roo closer to the size of your hens from a meat bird breed. If your concerned of fertility get a couple of Roos.

If you are serious about the meat part of the birds you hatch go with a larger roo. Just make sure he is not to big for breeding with your hens. If egg laying is really more your priority than the leghorn would be a better choice. You can still eat them, just as much meat per bird.
The flock protection is not going to be affected by size of the roo. A good rooster sounds the alarm when predators are near and leads the flock to safety.

If you are serious about the meat part of the birds you hatch go with a larger roo. Just make sure he is not to big for breeding with your hens. If egg laying is really more your priority than the leghorn would be a better choice. You can still eat them, just as much meat per bird.
The flock protection is not going to be affected by size of the roo. A good rooster sounds the alarm when predators are near and leads the flock to safety.
I agree to an extent but I’m planning on getting a black Jersey giant, doesn’t the black birds and it’s size deter predators especially hawks since they will think it’s a crow? Or is this a myth.We don’t get many predators here. But I do see bald eagles and hawks often enough.

I don’t think black chickens are confused with crows. They probably offer better camouflage than a lighter colored chicken though.
I had one of my black marans attacked by a hawk.

My flock is pretty much all Jersey Giants in black and white. We don't have problems with aerial predators, but they are still susceptible to predation from foxes, coyotes, dogs, etc. My cockbirds are observant and will call the hens into the coop if they sense danger, the youngest will challenge my dogs through the fence but I wouldn't trust him to fight a predator and win.

They are voracious breeders. I had a lone hatchery bred Sussex in with the Giants. I spent weeks nursing her back to health because the male would try to breed her and literally shredded her back despite having a saddle on her. I would not recommend using a "heritage" Giant on smaller hens. A hatchery bred Giant might be small enough, but there are other dual purpose breeds that aren't quite as large you could consider.

Also, consider how slow Giants grow. They aren't really ready to butcher until about 8 months old. They get tall fast but they don't put meat on for a while. The trio in the attached picture are 6 months old. IMG_5767.jpeg

I have and have had, little silkie roosters that do a fine job protecting their flock. I don't see how size would matter in that respect.

Several years ago before we got some protection around here, we had a black silkie get attacked by a hawk. The hawk could have had its choice of white, black, or gray. I don't believe that.

Back
Top Bottom