Heritage Large Fowl - Phase II

Hoping to breed him but its getting to cold up here for chicks. I'll just wait it out, till spring.
th.gif

I think he would have good looking offspring.

What would you guys do if you werent crazy about your foundation k?
With my roo dq for white wing tip im down to one k for the Barnevelders
in this situation what would you guys do????

Fortunately, I saw your cockerel. You want to breed him. He's a fairly strong Barnevelder, as far as Barnevelders go. We've not met, and I don't know you're program, but if you're going to take these Barnevelders all the way, they need to be your focus. You're going to pair him with a hen/pullet with absolutely no positive white, and then you need to breed sufficient numbers so that you can cull absolutely everything with positive white, you should have some with and some without. Occasionally one needs to move forward with a bird that has a problem, but you do your darnedest not to see it in two subsequent generations. You should get some strong birds from him.

Also, if you're going to work with Barnevelders. You want to find yourself in a situation where you're maintaining at least three cocks.

Regarding the Faverolles:

Yes, wait until spring. You'll end up with stunted chicks...going back to those negative environmental factors that can have a deleterious effect on growing birds.

Last edited:
Only three things to do, hatch like crazy and just cull hard against his faults (in this situation only use that male for the first year, replace him with his best son. Or hatch from the better bird even though he has a DQ (white wing tip is still just color) and cull hard against that. Third option would be to find a replacement cockerel from another breeder that you do like. It's getting late in year but someone should have a few they're still looking to sell.

Exactly. One time, big numbers, severe culling. Arrivederci.

PS: Then never allow it a foot-in in subsequent generations.

PPS: White, that is....

Last edited:
Fortunately, I saw your cockerel. You want to breed him. He's a fairly strong Barnevelder, as far as Barnevelders go. We've not met, and I don't know you're program, but if you're going to take these Barnevelders all the way, they need to be your focus. You're going to pair him with a hen/pullet with absolutely no positive white, and then you need to breed sufficient numbers so that you can cull absolutely everything with positive white, you should have some with and some without. Occasionally one needs to move forward with a bird that has a problem, but you do your darnedest not to see it in two subsequent generations. You should get some strong birds from him.

Also, if you're going to work with Barnevelders. You want to find yourself in a situation where you're maintaining at least three cocks.
I don't have them but am interested in the reason behind this - is it because of a very limited gene pool for the breed?

Yes, wait until spring. You'll end up with stunted chicks...going back to those negative environmental factors that can have a deleterious effect on growing birds.
Yes. Chicks + Cold = Not good.

So how does my rooster Marius look as far as showing and breeding (in the future)?

Yes, wait until spring.  You'll end up with stunted chicks...going back to those negative environmental factors that can have a deleterious effect on growing birds.

I was under the impression that hatching large fowl late and growing them out through winter and colder weather often resulted in larger birds? I never kept records and hatched year round so I'm not sure just something I'd heard so many times from people I trusted that I believed it.

On the subject of prepotency:

Chapter IX of The Call of the Hen. By Walter Hogan

Has anyone tested the organ of amativeness theory? Universities? Hatcheries? Backyarders? Any published results?

Fred, do you notice that your matings with the largest skull have the best prepotency? Is this the reason I've seen you mention breeding for larger skulls? I've seen you talk about it many times on various threads.

colburg
I have ridden since I was 3 years old. Along the way I was sort of adopted by some old time horsemen. They made a point of telling me: "If you have to open the box door to see what sex it is,; don't bother." This has proven very true . A good breeding male. of any sort, has a skull, and a look that is all male.The bold eye is also a key too, and attitude, such as owning the ground he stands on, is important in all males. Works for Homo Sapiens too ! LOL !

Quote: Larger birds? I have never heard that before. Ideal environment should bring out the best in birds. The cold isn't really ideal though. I guess it depends on housing too.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom