Heritage Large Fowl - Phase II

I was under the impression that hatching large fowl late and growing them out through winter and colder weather often resulted in larger birds? I never kept records and hatched year round so I'm not sure just something I'd heard so many times from people I trusted that I believed it.
Just throw the WHOLE grains to them to develop large innards, and to keep warm. You WILL raise larger LF in the winter.

Some common sex-linked genes:

Barring/cuckoo
Silver (as in Silver Grey versus Red Dorkings)

If you breed a homozygous SG male to a Red female, all the chicks will be silver. If you breed a Red male to a SG female, all the male chicks will be Silver, the female chicks will be red.

The same rhythm holds true for barring.

This would also happen with other Silver-Red pairings: i.e. Silver-penciled-partridge (Golden penciled) Rocks and Wyandottes.

Some common dominant genes:

1. rose comb (dominant to all combs)
  2. pea comb (dominant to all but rose comb)
  3. barring
  4. blue
  5. Columbian
  6. Crest
  7. Extended Black
  8. Extended Black Restricted (Birchen)
  9. Frizzle
  10. Polydactyly (5th toe)
  11. Dominant white as in White Leghorns (not a color in and of itself, it just blocks other color fro manifesting.
  12. late feathering, as in standard-bred Barred Rocks
  13. muffs and beards
  14. Melanotic, part of building an all black chicken
  15. Naked neck
  16. Rumpless
  17. White Skin
  18. Ear tufts, as in araucana
  19. blue egg shell
  20. Pattern gene, this is difficult of explain here but it's what makes pencilled, hamburg-spangled, laced, they're all connected

Some common recessive qualities:
  1. recessive white, as in White Rocks, Wyandottes, etc...
  2. brown, as in Dark Brown Leghorns
  3. buttercup
  4. wheaton
  5. silkie feathering
  6. lavender, aka self-blue
  7. mottled, as in Anconas, mille fleurs, porcelain, speckled Sussex, spangled OEG
  8. non-molting tails, as in some lines of phoenix
  9. single comb
  10. fast feathering
  11. wild plumage type, as in bbr oeg
  12. yellow skin
  13. vulturine hocks

Interesting. Even if that isn't true (I don't know what to believe), I don't really want chicks over winter. In Canada is get seriously cold. :p

So why exactly would you get bigger birds in the winter? That doesn't make sense to me.
If you lived down here where our seasons consist of Hot, Hotter, Hottest, and Christmas - you would be able see the difference between hatching when it is technically winter versus hatching any other time.

Back
Top Bottom