Heritage Large Fowl - Phase II

It would be interesting to see a list of "starters" for fermented feed ... with people's opinions about each

I've read about:

Nothing, just let the air provide the good stuff

"Mother" purchased at a specialty store

Unpasturized Apple Cider Vinegar (with the mother)

Yogurt, the real stuff with live cultures

Kefir

I'm sure I'm missing a bunch ...

There's a detailed description of "add nothing" fermentation on the Natural Chicken Keeping blog: Fermented Feed

It begins with "What the heck is fermented feed and why on earth would you want to give it to chickens?" And then tells you what, and why.

I have one pullet with a tail that is often cocked off to one side, but not always. She can straighten it out. I was thinking it was a wry tail, but since it's not permanent would it be more of a lazy tail and not necessarily a DQ?

She is 10 months old and has been like that for several months. She's not my top choice as a breeder due to the tail issue, but I might have to show her this weekend as an alternate for the bird I had intended to show...

Sarah

There's a detailed description of "add nothing" fermentation on the Natural Chicken Keeping blog: Fermented Feed

It begins with "What the heck is fermented feed and why on earth would you want to give it to chickens?" And then tells you what, and why.

I've read most of the Fermented Feed threads here (and there) ... thousands of pages of them ... and really wish there was a place to distill the information, by detail ... hence the list idea.

Last edited:
You certainly want to assess tail when birds are relaxed All birds tighten things up a bit understress. The best scenario is to invest in some show pens to be able to compare your stock. Tail angle, as capay kim pointed out, is pretty fixable if you have birds that offer a lowering of the tail.

True wry tail is grotesque in that it totally deforms the type of the bird. It's a DQ at any age. Sometimes you'll have specimens with lazy tails, which is not upt o standard snuff, but it's not a DQ per se.

This begs the question: wry tail is heritable, yes? And why would it spring up out of the blue in someone's flock? Saw some photos earlier this year of birds that someone had shipped out as either chicks or eggs to two different people, and the photos were eye-opening.

What would cause that to spontaneously pop out I wonder?

What would cause that to spontaneously pop out I wonder?
I suppose if anyone could answer that question, we'd never see things like wry tail, split wing, side sprigs, again.
hu.gif

Ok, I am back here. We have some chickens, and ducks, now. 3 marans, 1 cuckoo maran/rir mix, an a easter egger rooster! I still would like a couple heritage ladies to add to our flock. I am curious, are Dorkings a heritage breed? I live in Western MA, cold winters and hot summers! We have a coop and a good size enclosed pen. What do you suggest? thanks

Ok, I am back here. We have some chickens, and ducks, now. 3 marans, 1 cuckoo maran/rir mix, an a easter egger rooster! I still would like a couple heritage ladies to add to our flock. I am curious, are Dorkings a heritage breed? I live in Western MA, cold winters and hot summers! We have a coop and a good size enclosed pen. What do you suggest? thanks
BUCKEYES!

(Of course I will say that.)
big_smile.png

But seriously, Buckeyes would be perfect for western MA, the pea combs would mean you'd have no trouble at all with frostbite.

See my signature links for more info on them.

Yes, Dorkings are an Heritage Breed!

Some color types have Rose combs too.

Back
Top Bottom