Heritage Large Fowl - Phase II

Oh yes, Buckeyes are my favorite breed too, and I think they'd be perfect for Michigan! Having lived "up north" for many years (southern WI and northern MN, not to mention being from Cleveland origainally), I am familiar with the sorts of winters you get up there, and know the breed would do well for you.

Here are some pictures of my Buckeyes in the snow, they are completely nonchalant about it!

Wow! I don't think I've ever seen a cleaner Leghorn than that! Leghorn, right? I don't see red earlobes, but I can't see its legs either. Had you recently bathed this bird or was it like that naturally?

Wow! I don't think I've ever seen a cleaner Leghorn than that! Leghorn, right? I don't see red earlobes, but I can't see its legs either. Had you recently bathed this bird or was it like that naturally?
No, I had not bathed her recently. She is just a Production Leghorn, left over from the kids' 4-H projects. Her comb doesn't even lay over properly, just a backyard layer I keep in the range pen because I don't have the heart to cull her, and she still lays huge white eggs. Here's another photo of her and her sister, from a photo shoot two years earlier:

Last edited:
Don't know a thing about Leghorns, but that rounded line from chin to belly looks amazing.

"That rounded line from chin to belly" is what one is looking for. If one were to fault her, for the sake of understanding, her back line needs to sweep into a longer, spread tail, and she needs to be higher on her legs.

This beauty and elegance that oozes from the Mediterranean class is so undervalued and little understood here. We parrot beginner's impression of flightiness that comes from incorrect, sloppy husbandry and blame the birds. The Mediterranean and Continental class easily constitute our two most elegant, sweeping, an pheasant-like classes of fowl. I am very hopeful that we can foster a stronger, more committed focus on the to raise their numbers while they still exist in beautiful form.

Consider these Anconas, how andante they are in their flow of form. Then open your SOP and consider the other Mediterranean and Continental breeds. Picture each one in their typical grace. They're absolutely elegant.

Thank you to everyone who helped answer my many questions about showing and encouraged us to study our APA SOP. We had a great first show in Barnwell today, learned a lot, and I accomplished my goal of not bringing any birds that would get disqualified
big_smile.png

Grey (Cream Legbar) and Lily (Double Laced Barnevelder) both placed first in their breeds, of course they were also the only ones in their breeds lol
wink.png

I'm still not sure why they put her in the English Class instead of Continental, but Lily was entered into the Junior Show by my DS, and she received this little surprise...

Thank you again to everyone!

Fantastic news! Congratulations! Unless something happens in the next few days, I am going to pick up a pair of Barnevelders. A local keeper was given chicks by her daughter, purchased from a breeder (I have not seen them yet), and one of the Barnevelders turned out to be a male, which she cannot keep. She offered me the pair and I said yes. I will give her back some pullets next year if they successfully reproduce. I'm pretty psyched :)

Fantastic news! Congratulations! Unless something happens in the next few days, I am going to pick up a pair of Barnevelders. A local keeper was given chicks by her daughter, purchased from a breeder (I have not seen them yet), and one of the Barnevelders turned out to be a male, which she cannot keep. She offered me the pair and I said yes. I will give her back some pullets next year if they successfully reproduce. I'm pretty psyched :)

Nice, another Barnevelder possibility.

"That rounded line from chin to belly" is what one is looking for. If one were to fault her, for the sake of understanding, her back line needs to sweep into a longer, spread tail, and she needs to be higher on her legs.

This beauty and elegance that oozes from the Mediterranean class is so undervalued and little understood here. We parrot beginner's impression of flightiness that comes from incorrect, sloppy husbandry and blame the birds. The Mediterranean and Continental class easily constitute our two most elegant, sweeping, an pheasant-like classes of fowl. I am very hopeful that we can foster a stronger, more committed focus on the to raise their numbers while they still exist in beautiful form.

Consider these Anconas, how andante they are in their flow of form. Then open your SOP and consider the other Mediterranean and Continental breeds. Picture each one in their typical grace. They're absolutely elegant.

Hear, hear! Nicely said! I am hopeful I will have some of Mr. Urch's leghorns come spring - he was not able to fill the order last year, so fingers crossed. I am enamored of nearly every type of bird, to be honest, but have always loved leghorns for their beauty and production.

Hear, hear! Nicely said! I am hopeful I will have some of Mr. Urch's leghorns come spring - he was not able to fill the order last year, so fingers crossed. I am enamored of nearly every type of bird, to be honest, but have always loved leghorns for their beauty and production.

What kind of Leghorn are you hoping for?

No, I had not bathed her recently. She is just a Production Leghorn, left over from the kids' 4-H projects. Her comb doesn't even lay over properly, just a backyard layer I keep in the range pen because I don't have the heart to cull her, and she still lays huge white eggs. Here's another photo of her and her sister, from a photo shoot two years earlier:

Yep, she's got some nice parts. However, in this picture, she stands out a little better against the snow. The first one? Not so much. I spotted her by her comb and wattles and head against that Buckeye. I had to look for the rest of her.

Thank you to everyone who helped answer my many questions about showing and encouraged us to study our APA SOP. We had a great first show in Barnwell today, learned a lot, and I accomplished my goal of not bringing any birds that would get disqualified
big_smile.png

Grey (Cream Legbar) and Lily (Double Laced Barnevelder) both placed first in their breeds, of course they were also the only ones in their breeds lol
wink.png

I'm still not sure why they put her in the English Class instead of Continental, but Lily was entered into the Junior Show by my DS, and she received this little surprise...

Thank you again to everyone!

Congratulations!

Back
Top Bottom