Heritage Large Fowl - Phase II

I was told that a Styrofoam Incubator will hatch bacteria better than eggs after about 6 hatches. I have used mine one time and had an 80% hatch. I really had to mind the temperature closely though. Has anyone used these type incubators extensively with good success? If so, to what do you attribute your success?
idunno.gif

If anyone out there reading the thread is looking for
Heritage Large Fowl, now is the time to ask.

Breeders are making up their waiting lists for 2014. Don't
wait until hatching season to ask about your breed of choice.
Wade on into the thread now and let the folk here get you
connected with a breeder of high quality birds of your choice.
Don't be a lurker. There are no stupid questions.
Best,
Karen

Last edited:
I plan to put mine in my laundry room. I hope the temps there will be okay, it is where the washer/dryer are, but it is 18 feet long with the machines on one end and the bator will be on the other.

Oh, and I have two SpotChecks and three other cheaper ones.

What are the readings on the other two shelves (when the top shelf reads 99.5)?
The only other thing I'd be cautious on besides temps in the wash room would be if the floor (is a pier and joist type or a cement pad type) the prior I would worry with vibrations/shaking from the washer during use also too make sure it is not around a door that is frequently used as they invariably will get slammed on occasion this could jostle the eggs and cause problems resulting in ruptured blood vessels(blood ring) the temps aren't a set in stone, 99.5 is a perfected average one would think that under a broody all eggs aren't equal temps at all times due to orientation under the hen she just adjust them constantly is the reason they do so well(no machine can mimic a setting broody even as techno as the world has become in the digitized/cyber run era) nothing acts a nature does. FYI and J/S and done with my what fors and how comes
smile.png
Nice Christmas gift though I too am getting one( a big cabinet type) from my brother (is it a curse or a blessing)
hmm.png
wink.png
We shall see huh? LOL

Jeff

Oh yes I agree with Matt and Scott on the hatching the eggs uprighted just as they have been set in the turner I now do this practice and have increased my hatch yields tremendously I have lost more eggs from taking them out of the turner at 18 days (looked promising at candling) then laying them on sides to never have much anything good come out of that move lost lots this way(ignorance) it simply kills the embryo more times than not I ve found.

Last edited:
Each reads about 1/2 degree below the one above

If you use all the shelves....I start a hatch on the top shelf. 1 week later, I will add a set to the 2nd shelf, a week later one to the third shelf

When you move hatch 1 to the hatcher, everything moves UP one shelf. When hatch 2 goes to hatcher, same thing....always taking those to the hatcher from the TOP shelf

When I operate this way, everything hatches on schedule (day 21)...

Also, I hatch in egg cartons (plastic or stryo) with eggs upright. Seems my hatches are significantly better this way since the chick is already oriented "upright" since that is the way we incubate (unlike a broody where an egg is on its side the entire time)

Also...keep in mind that the incubator can develop a bit of a "smell" over time (water pan, dust, etc), especially if you hatch in it....might be a bit of an unwanted "smell" in clean clothes (LOL)
I have three teen boys, the smell in there can only get better............

Huh, I go the other way. I start out on the top shelf and each week move everything down one shelf. No idea why, probably old habit from when I used same incubator as a hatcher.

Totally agree with you on the hatching upright if you can. This past year was first year I shipped in any eggs and it made a huge difference when someone recommended that to me. I'll be doing that for all eggs from now on.
Okay, so what I'm hearing is to rotate the eggs to different positions in the incubator as the hatch progresses. I assume this is so the eggs all have a time at the higher temps and at the lower temps. I'm curious, what are your hatch rates? Matt, will your's 'hatch a rock', too? I can see another experiment on the horizon.

I was told that a Styrofoam Incubator will hatch bacteria better than eggs after about 6 hatches. I have used mine one time and had an 80% hatch. I really had to mind the temperature closely though. Has anyone used these type incubators extensively with good success? If so, to what do you attribute your success?
idunno.gif
Both of my styrobators are old and previously used. I plan to use them as hatchers and will disinfect them to within an inch of their lives. The model Sportsman I bought is the one without the hatching tray in the bottom. That should keep it cleaner and (hopefully) make things more simple. I also hope that only using them for hatching, and rotating which one I use each week, with thorough disinfecting in between will do the trick.

We discuss how our Heritage Large fowl should be productive.
This is an interesting book and have only read Chapter one.
The author spent 10 years ( 1912-1922) studying the plusses
and minuses of the Potter and Hogan culling systems. Ch. 1
explains this better than I. Potter, "Don't Kill The Laying Hen"
was the predecessor of Hogan. Author Foreman gives the
best synopsis of the Hogan system I have read.
Every step in culling and breeding
By E. C. Foreman
http://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=coo.31924003164955;view=1up;seq=1
Best,
Karen

Last edited:
The only other thing I'd be cautious on besides temps in the wash room would be if the floor (is a pier and joist type or a cement pad type) the prior I would worry with vibrations/shaking from the washer during use also too make sure it is not around a door that is frequently used as they invariably will get slammed on occasion this could jostle the eggs and cause problems resulting in ruptured blood vessels(blood ring) the temps aren't a set in stone, 99.5 is a perfected average one would think that under a broody all eggs aren't equal temps at all times due to orientation under the hen she just adjust them constantly is the reason they do so well(no machine can mimic a setting broody even as techno as the world has become in the digitized/cyber run era) nothing acts a nature does. FYI and J/S and done with my what fors and how comes
smile.png
Nice Christmas gift though I too am getting one( a big cabinet type) from my brother (is it a curse or a blessing)
hmm.png
wink.png
We shall see huh? LOL

Jeff

Oh yes I agree with Matt and Scott on the hatching the eggs uprighted just as they have been set in the turner I now do this practice and have increased my hatch yields tremendously I have lost more eggs from taking them out of the turner at 18 days (looked promising at candling) then laying them on sides to never have much anything good come out of that move lost lots this way(ignorance) it simply kills the embryo more times than not I ve found.
I wonder if this could be what's been happening? It doesn't make sense to me though, it's not like I shake the egg either gently or vigorously. I can't see why laying it on its side would kill the embryo. I will try keeping them upright this next hatch season and see what happens.

One benefit of hatching upright is the eggs don't get knocked around or turned over so they suffocate. I take egg cartons and cut them way down and then place them in there to hatch. They seem to hatch faster too.

Last edited:
I wonder if this could be what's been happening? It doesn't make sense to me though, it's not like I shake the egg either gently or vigorously. I can't see why laying it on its side would kill the embryo. I will try keeping them upright this next hatch season and see what happens.

Same here - I have eggs going to the hatcher tomorrow, and have had the same problem Jeff described, I am definitely going to try this too - will be good to compare notes.

Same here - I have eggs going to the hatcher tomorrow, and have had the same problem Jeff described, I am definitely going to try this too - will be good to compare notes.
what I find is that eggs laid on their side get "kicked around" by the one who hatch first. This can't happen under a broody as she is sitting tight over everyone. The eggs hatched in cartons seem to stay upright

My hatch rates last yr averaged about 90%

EDITED TO CLARIFY - all eggs hatched were from my birds....no shipped eggs

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom