Heritage Large Fowl - Phase II

I would like a Jersey Giant roo. I have a black hen. I'm not particular about color. I can go anywhere from the middle of Georgia and the middle of Alabama down to the middle of Florida for pick up.
I would start with Frank Reese for Jersey Giants and see where that leads: http://www.goodshepherdpoultryranch.com/Chickenbreeds.html
Two other ideas
#1 Wynette : https://www.backyardchickens.com/u/4158/wynette
#2 buy a copy of Poultry Press and email the judges in your state to see who has them that is near enough for a "road trip"

Anyone been able to help teachick find a Black Jersey Giant roo?
Best,
Karen
Hey there - I breed Giants in black/blue, and am planning to attend the poultry show in Newnan, GA in February; it's one of my favorite shows. Teachick - PM me if you're interested; I don't have anything fully grown, but I'm planning on hatching in January. (Exhibition line, proven in the show ring.)

I am going to give it a try! Have had 90% hatches consistently the last few years in my hovabator 1588's which I am more than happy with but the logic of standing them up just makes sense. This week I got a new Sportsman Digital for setting and will use the hovabators for hatching. Out with the old, in with the new!

I would like to know if you used each of the 1588 Hovabators more than 6 times, and supposing from your results that you did not have issues with bacteria, how do you clean these units. Or otherwise how did you prevent problems with bacteria?

I would like to know if you used each of the 1588 Hovabators more than 6 times, and supposing from your results that you did not have issues with bacteria, how do you clean these units. Or otherwise how did you prevent problems with bacteria?
I have used these 50 x's plus. One I have had for five years, the other for 2 years. The new one I bought specifically for setting and designated the old one for hatching. After each hatch I use the cans of compressed air and spray the feathers/dust out of the fans, scrub them out with a stiff brush using soap and water, then I let them dry and spray with oxine (6 oz to a gallon of water). When I add water to the trays before use I spray a light spray of oxine as well. The one that I just use for setting does not get cleaned till the end of my breeding season as I keep setting eggs in it weekly for several months. If it does sit empty for a bit I will spritz it with oxine.

I have used these 50 x's plus. One I have had for five years, the other for 2 years. The new one I bought specifically for setting and designated the old one for hatching. After each hatch I use the cans of compressed air and spray the feathers/dust out of the fans, scrub them out with a stiff brush using soap and water, then I let them dry and spray with oxine (6 oz to a gallon of water). When I add water to the trays before use I spray a light spray of oxine as well. The one that I just use for setting does not get cleaned till the end of my breeding season as I keep setting eggs in it weekly for several months. If it does sit empty for a bit I will spritz it with oxine.
Thank you for the reply. I assume the oxine dissipates, can you close it up immediately after the light spay or do you need to wait a bit? Can one get oxine at a farm supply or TSC?

I'm curious about the "6 times" reference. Have you read somewhere that Hovabators can only be used 6 times w/o bacteria becoming a prolem?
I used Hovabators for several years before I bought cabinet Incubators. Hatched hundreds if not thousands of chicks in them. All I ever did was spray them with Lysol & rinse them out. Bacteria have pretty short life expectencies if conditions aren't just right for them.

Who is lurking on this thread and seeking to champion a Heritage Large Fowl? A breed which needs help. Pulling it back from the brink. Or wanting to join a dedicated group of fanciers who are already determined to bring a breed back to greatness like the Buckeye folk are doing? Let us know and help. Bob talked a lot about preservationists vs. just folk who breed rare breeds. That's what we do on this list. We encourage folk to become preservationists and help them find the quality stock, and the support they need to be successful. Hatchery stock will not suffice. It can take many years to bring them up to show status. Who is reading this thread and can't quite decide on their chosen breed? Ask. That is one of the purposes of this thread. We are here to help, not dissuade, or consider anyone not fit because they are beginners in poultry. We all started at one time. This thread and Bob understood that a good start with quality stock and encouragement could make or break a budding preservationist. Wondering if your chosen breed is "Heritage"? Ask. Lurker or subscriber, novice or veteran, shy or zealot, all are welcome here. Bob made this list that way.
Ask. Become a breed saver. The list of breeds which need help and preserving is way longer than it should be . Something for everyone's taste. Eggs, meat, dual purpose, ornamental. You name it, in all kinds of colors. Ask.
Best,
Karen

Last edited:
Who is lurking on this thread and seeking to champion a Heritage Large Fowl? A breed which needs help. Pulling it back from the brink. Or wanting to join a dedicated group of fanciers who are already determined to bring a breed back to greatness like the Buckeye folk are doing? Let us know and help. Bob talked a lot about preservationists vs. just folk who breed rare breeds. That's what we do on this list. We encourage folk to become preservationists and help them find the quality stock, and the support they need to be successful. Hatchery stock will not suffice. It can take many years to bring them up to show status. Who is reading this thread and can't quite decide on their chosen breed? Ask. That is one of the purposes of this thread. We are here to help, not dissuade, or consider anyone not fit because they are beginners in poultry. We all started at one time. This thread and Bob understood that a good start with quality stock and encouragement could make or break a budding preservationist. Wondering if your chosen breed is "Heritage"? Ask. Lurker or subscriber, novice or veteran, shy or zealot, all are welcome here. Bob made this list that way.
Ask. Become a breed saver. The list of breeds which need help and preserving is way longer than it should be . Something for everyone's taste. Eggs, meat, dual purpose, ornamental. You name it, in all kinds of colors. Ask.
Best,
Karen
I've been studying on this for over a year. Got a lot of good information from helpful folks, and a few bits not so good. Learning to consider the source and circumstances. Got in some real live practice on some backyard chickens. My goal is to work with buckeyes to create a closed flock. I can only seriously work with the one breed. Maybe a few years down the road ...

I'm curious about the "6 times" reference. Have you read somewhere that Hovabators can only be used 6 times w/o bacteria becoming a prolem?
I used Hovabators for several years before I bought cabinet Incubators. Hatched hundreds if not thousands of chicks in them. All I ever did was spray them with Lysol & rinse them out. Bacteria have pretty short life expectencies if conditions aren't just right for them.

This is about the source and circumstances for information thing. It was stated to me that after 6 times these (Styrofoam Incubators) were better for growing bacteria than hatching. I don't think I will need the capacity of a cabinet incubator yet. I wanted to see if there was a way I could use what I already have.

Back
Top Bottom