Heritage Large Fowl - Phase II

OK folks, a friend is trying to make some decisions about where she is going to go with her poultry flock this coming year. We would like some input from more experienced breeders. Keep in mind we are looking at quality, standard bred birds, not hatchery stock.

Right now one decision is Plymouth Rock vs Orpington
My take on them is that they are about the same size bird, they should be about the same meat wise. I believe that they lay roughly the same. I *think* but am not sure that the orps may tend to be a bit broodier than the rocks. Any other pros or cons?

If you have a different breed that might fill the bill a bit better, please make some suggestions!

Her wish list;
Big eggs, good layers
good meat birds (ie cockerels grow quick to broiler/roaster size) old hens have some meat left on their bones
tolerate cold down to about 10 degrees
tolerate the heat well (she gets over 110 degree days in the summer)

OK folks, a friend is trying to make some decisions about where she is going to go with her poultry flock this coming year. We would like some input from more experienced breeders. Keep in mind we are looking at quality, standard bred birds, not hatchery stock.

My take on them is that they are about the same size bird, they should be about the same meat wise. I believe that they lay roughly the same. I *think* but am not sure that the orps may tend to be a bit broodier than the rocks. Any other pros or cons?

If you have a different breed that might fill the bill a bit better, please make some suggestions!

Her wish list;
Big eggs, good layers
good meat birds (ie cockerels grow quick to broiler/roaster size) old hens have some meat left on their bones
I believe I answered on the Natural Chicken Keeping thread. Hope she gets the right birds though!

Quote: No problem, They are both great threads and that is why you get them confused, eh?
wink.png

Her wish list;
Big eggs, good layers
I'm not an expert on either breed but I would say white Plymouth Rocks maybe. Almost all whites are oversized though which I'm assuming *could* lead to more meat production. One thing I will say is mine were mean when I had them. Plus I had a buff Orpington breeder tell me he's had a few get nasty. Both are known to be cold hardy but I'm not sure about the heat. My HATCHEY orps layed rather crappily while my neighbors supposedly SQ hen layed lots of big brown eggs.

I would try the buckeyes
even though the roos get big thick legs they are mushmallows
mine assimilated with my Barnies immediately and they are my best layers/foragers great with kids but buy from a breeder!!! My Barnies would not tolerate 110

Back
Top Bottom