Heritage Large Fowl - Phase II

Wow! What a wonderful bird!!! No wonder he's a champ....what a beauty!
love.gif
So THAT'S what a BA is supposed to look like....

One of my Australorp Cockerels. He was Reserve Grand Champ of one of the shows in Baton Rouge and Grand Champ of one of the shows in Pensacola this past weekend.

BEAUTIFUL! Congratulations on your wins with him.

Any advice on getting one of my male cockerels to learn to chill and be handled from the cage?
Patience. Put him in the cage and let him live there for a little while to get used to tight quarters. Walk by the cage, closely. As he settles down you can walk by faster and maybe add a little extra movement with your arms. As he gets calmer and is a little more relaxed standing in the back of the cage while you feed him, perhaps you can let him get hungry and then offer food from your hand. Gradually work up to touching him and then handling him.

My daughter did this one time with one of her old english game bantam cockerels. He would attack her hand when she reached in to feed him and she got pretty tired of it. So she started just grabbing him out of his cage, holding him for a while and then offering him some treats until he came to view her hands as something friendly and not to be attacked. Game birds though, little as these bantams are, have quite the attitude and she eventually tired of their attacks and she sold them.

I don't know what your breed is but I think the main word of advice is "patience."

Some birds have nice profiles but lack in depth and width of body. Not saying he does, sometimes it is hard to get the 3-d in our heads without seeing it. I know it helps me when I walk to my pens to have that vision in my head.

BEAUTIFUL! Congratulations on your wins with him.

Patience. Put him in the cage and let him live there for a little while to get used to tight quarters. Walk by the cage, closely. As he settles down you can walk by faster and maybe add a little extra movement with your arms. As he gets calmer and is a little more relaxed standing in the back of the cage while you feed him, perhaps you can let him get hungry and then offer food from your hand. Gradually work up to touching him and then handling him.

My daughter did this one time with one of her old english game bantam cockerels. He would attack her hand when she reached in to feed him and she got pretty tired of it. So she started just grabbing him out of his cage, holding him for a while and then offering him some treats until he came to view her hands as something friendly and not to be attacked. Game birds though, little as these bantams are, have quite the attitude and she eventually tired of their attacks and she sold them.

I don't know what your breed is but I think the main word of advice is "patience."
Thank you. I have two lines of my slw and I can see differences bigtime. One line is docile from the day they hatch, the other wants to peck you. I just need him to relax and let me handle him quietly. I love my whites, they are from a great line and he did a great job breeding for sweet natured and beautiful.

Back
Top Bottom