Heritage Large Fowl - Phase II

To those who may have been offend by my insensitive posts over the last few days, please accept my heart-felt apology.

RON

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjensen

It is all behind us Ron. We are back on track.

I am looking forward to earing what you decide with the Naked Necks. What color did you say?

Yes I'm all good too. I showed my derriere a little much myself, also I apologize for that too.

I too am interested in the NNs I always have been fascinated by them and that was before I knew the slightest iota about poultry other than how to raise them and care for them. Now I have a more understanding of why all chickens aren't just chickens and actually have a specific purpose.

Jeff

Last edited:
I wish there was more information about wheaten as well.
(Though I realize in the Faverolle "salmon" is a bit different with silver genetics etc which adds to the fun).
wink.png

The only article I could find was one of Doc Everett's written a while back on Wheaten Cubalayas.

Thanks Doc!

Edited to add the link:
http://www.backyardpoultrymag.com/2-3/charles_rh_everett/
Thank you for the link.

Wheaton can be a tough nut to crack, when it is with something else. It does not always seam to act how it is supposed to.

Many in Europe think there is a dominant and recessive wheaton. I tend to think it depends, and can be co dominant. This was confirmed for me when a friend shared some photos of wheaton/partridge crosses that showed characteristics of both. In that case at least, it seamed to be co dominant.

What's even more interesting than chickens in regards to offspring is turkeys.

A population of wild turkey hens deprived of toms can still lay fertile eggs (read that self-fertile). Further, all eggs laid will produce only toms.

Any way you look at it, that is just cool.

That is soo cool! And it make the premise of Jurrasic Park more real too.

Alright I need some practiced eyes here. I have the chance to get one or two or even three of these Breda cockerals. Their leg feathers have been pretty beat up by the mud but I need some advice in choosing a good cockerel here. Since they are Blue and Black I am considering taking one of each.

Thank you for the link.

Wheaton can be a tough nut to crack, when it is with something else. It does not always seam to act how it is supposed to.

Many in Europe think there is a dominant and recessive wheaton. I tend to think it depends, and can be co dominant. This was confirmed for me when a friend shared some photos of wheaton/partridge crosses that showed characteristics of both. In that case at least, it seamed to be co dominant.

The wheaten males usually breed pretty close, with most of the difference in the color of the hackle and saddle. It's the females that are hard to get right.

Walt

Thank you for the link.

I had a line of Dutch Bantams Light brown that were carriers for wheaten. Clearly recessive at first sight, but did dilute quite noticeably on the light browns, located only in the female breast. I found that out after I bred the F1 back, two wheaton chicks out of 15 popped up and I marked them. One pullet turned out pretty good, the male I culled. I got rid of the whole lot though, because the wheaten sorta showed in the breast of all lb hens. You had to look close, but it was there it was not nice rich salmon anymore. I did not want to breed wheaton, so I gave a few to a lday who does work on them, my birds had better type than her wheatens. I am back at it with pure Light Brown stock now.

Piet

Back
Top Bottom