Heritage Large Fowl - Phase II

The "Breda fowl "(Breda is a Dutch city where it started out, And Gelderland is just next to it)..It is standardized in Holland and we call it Kraaikop. (crowhead) They are related to Polish, Polish are also misunderstood in the name, they are another Dutch breed. Some similarities are the large open nostrils and the Kraaikop also has some head tufts. They are shown in various color varieties and not that uncommon. I am often surprised how little there is know in North America about birds in other countries other than the USA, different than from what is already standardized. These imported birds are being sold for a high dollar and to me, if they are not standardized, they are worth maybe 5 bucks for soup. They should be given (!) and bred up first by breeders who know what the heck they are doing and presented to APA, give em a real shot at staying a good true breeding breed and get protection of a standard first before being exploited or nothing will ever come of it. They will just disappear again, but someone filled their pockets. If someone wants to learn about them other than a fancy love story on some "saleswebsite" they can PM me and I will direct them to the specialty club. Piet
Thank you for sharing Piet! Nice looking birds! All I can say at this point, in regard to the chicks, is that the heads look right. Can't tell much of anything else on the body though.

I like this breed also and like long featherlegged breeds, the Langshan is the main ancestor of my breed I raise primairily and you can see their type back in them (the Barnevelder). Ok, the Kraaikop is tall, wide, yet slender built. Head looks small compared to the large frame body. Long narrow vulture hocks are wanted and feathered legs all the way down, middle toe slight feathered and inside toe clean. Legs are set straight underneath the bird, leg color depends on what variety it is. Tight wing carriage and very high tail set. Tail is well spread, well developed and large. This bird has an upright pose and can impress like a real giant. Hens 5 lbs, roosters 6-7lbs. Piet

I like this breed also and like long featherlegged breeds, the Langshan is the main ancestor of my breed I raise primairily and you can see their type back in them (the Barnevelder). Ok, the Kraaikop is tall, wide, yet slender built. Head looks small compared to the large frame body. Long narrow vulture hocks are wanted and feathered legs all the way down, middle toe slight feathered and inside toe clean. Legs are set straight underneath the bird, leg color depends on what variety it is. Tight wing carriage and very high tail set. Tail is well spread, well developed and large. This bird has an upright pose and can impress like a real giant. Hens 5 lbs, roosters 6-7lbs. Piet

Thanks.

Last edited:
I have come to appreciate breeds with a higher station, a tail, and tighter feathering. They just look proud and more athletic to me. The irony is that this is the opposite of what I was drawn to initially.

The birds in that picture are closer to my ideal than many. Birds like that are a pleasure to see in motion.

Last edited:
So what were you drawn to initially?
The heavy American Breeds. And I still am. I will always admire them. Kind of a first love kind of thing. LOL. I love a nice Rock, Red, or New Hampshire. Especially the NH. I was chasing NHs years before they hit the scene again. Like Jeff says "I like my orange chickens".

Earlier I had no interest in the Meds. Went with the notion that they were no pleasure to keep. But . . . the Catalanas caught my attention early on. Just never seen any around. Note, another orange chicken. But this one has nice white earlobes for contrast.

There is something about an athletic cock bird with a high station, a big comb, standing proud, like he owns the world. They just have a way about them. And they act the way they look. Then the hens are all business. They never quit and the nest box is never empty.

In a generation of MyPetChicken, they do not quite fit in, but they fit in quite nicely here.

The heavy American Breeds. And I still am. I will always admire them. Kind of a first love kind of thing. LOL. I love a nice Rock, Red, or New Hampshire. Especially the NH. I was chasing NHs years before they hit the scene again. Like Jeff says "I like my orange chickens".

Earlier I had no interest in the Meds. Went with the notion that they were no pleasure to keep. But . . . the Catalanas caught my attention early on. Just never seen any around. Note, another orange chicken. But this one has nice white earlobes for contrast.

There is something about an athletic cock bird with a high station, a big comb, standing proud, like he owns the world. They just have a way about them. And they act the way they look. Then the hens are all business. They never quit and the nest box is never empty.

In a generation of MyPetChicken, they do not quite fit in, but they fit in quite nicely here.

It's fantastic to see this type of dedication, passion and praise of a breed. I think that's one of the big secrets to long term success in poultry, finding a breed you can be passionate about. So many focus on rare and trying to "save" everything rather than sticking to what appeals to them. Folks, look at the late Mr. Blosl and his Reds, the late Forrest Beauford and his Langshans, Golda Miller and Jersey Giants, could go on, but look at almost any Hall of Fame breeder, or anyone that's been successful in poultry for decades on end, the vast majority of them (even if they have multiple breeds) are really known for and tied to one breed that they are or were very passionate about.

Just wanted to call attention to this because I really feel it's important.

Quote:
Passion is how I wound up with Black Javas. Saw a good trio at a show and fell in love. Had never heard of the breed before that. Now we'll see if I can actually do something with them. Never had anything but hatchery mutts before. This breeding thing is a challenge that's going to keep me busy for a long time. With chickens you can eat your mistakes, so it's all good.
smile.png

Sarah

Passion is how I wound up with Black Javas. Saw a good trio at a show and fell in love. Had never heard of the breed before that. Now we'll see if I can actually do something with them. Never had anything but hatchery mutts before. This breeding thing is a challenge that's going to keep me busy for a long time. With chickens you can eat your mistakes, so it's all good.
smile.png

Sarah

I am where you are Sarah. I am new in this, but like the birds.

I have liked the birds since I had a box of chicks as a kid. One of those feed store specials. Where you got the free dozen chicks (black sex link cockerels, by the way LOL), for purchasing a bag of feed. I cut some serious grass to maintain my little flock. I went back and added this and that.

I think that I killed a couple along the way figuring it out. Guess they were sacrificial lambs.

Still today, I look forward to the box of chicks in the spring. I do not think that will ever change.

I think starting is like learning to garden. A gardener has failures and set backs, but likes doing it enough to keep doing it. And for all the year's failures is still looking through the seed catalogs over the winter.
After a couple years, you learn your seasons and your specific conditions. You get better and know what to expect. When to plant this to avoid that. But then you move, and though you have experience, you learn your new circumstances. What worked there doesn't work here.
A gardener keeps on gardening and a breeder keeps on breeding. A master gardener and a master breeder is the ones that enjoyed it enough to stick it out over a life time and get pretty darn good at it.

Back
Top Bottom