Heritage Large Fowl - Phase II

Bringing this back to Heritage Large Fowl, lest the bantams take over this thread the way they've been trying to take over the poultry shows
wink.png

I am curious if anyone has seen any good Black Javas at shows recently, and if so, who has them?

Sarah
Monte Bowen

I hate to contradict, but if you're referring to Salmon Favorelles tail here you might want to double check the standard. Looking at it right now as I type, black is not allowed in female tails, it is to be salmon-brown. There is of course black in the wing primaries and secondaries.
Just got back from the Faverolles National at the Congress show in MA. Talked to some fellow faverolles breeders and can better clarify my statement. Thus far both ABA and APA standards have stated salmon brown or salmon pink as tail color. The change to allowing black mixed with salmon in the tail is under review with the ABA standard and hopefully the APA will follow suit. Having salmon with no black in the tail with black in the primaries and pure black in the males chest and tail would be tough I think. This is all based on what other breeders told me. Haven't talked to anyone at the APA or ABA.

Just got back from the Faverolles National at the Congress show in MA. Talked to some fellow faverolles breeders and can better clarify my statement. Thus far both ABA and APA standards have stated salmon brown or salmon pink as tail color. The change to allowing black mixed with salmon in the tail is under review with the ABA standard and hopefully the APA will follow suit. Having salmon with no black in the tail with black in the primaries and pure black in the males chest and tail would be tough I think. This is all based on what other breeders told me. Haven't talked to anyone at the APA or ABA. 

Nothing personal but I hope that change doesn't go through. It would set a dangerous precedent to change a standard just because it's not easy to breed for, in my opinion.

Nothing personal but I hope that change doesn't go through. It would set a dangerous precedent to change a standard just because it's not easy to breed for, in my opinion.
Yep to each their own. I haven't spent any time selecting for salmon tails and I am not sure the judges really care all that much. It would be interesting to look at historical photos of faverolles and see whether there was black in the tail or not. Haven't formed much of an opinion on my own. I have just been listening to what more experienced breeders of Faverolles have said.

I will join you in sharing that opinion. There always seems to be a push from some group to change something about a Standard description. Usually seems tobe motivated by the people making the push having birds that don't match the Standard.
In another post someone suggested judges don't "really care that much" about Salmon Faverole tail colour: I assure you we do. I'm not sure where the widespread notion that judges ignore the Standard comes from but I don't know any that do.

I will join you in sharing that opinion. There always seems to be a push from some group to change something about a Standard description. Usually seems tobe motivated by the people making the push having birds that don't match the Standard.
In another post someone suggested judges don't "really care that much" about Salmon Faverole tail colour: I assure you we do. I'm not sure where the widespread notion that judges ignore the Standard comes from but I don't know any that do.
I respect both of your opinions and its always good to hear from more experienced poultry folks and judges. My comment about the judges not caring is based upon what I have seen at several shows. That would be faverolles females both bantam and standard taking featherleg and reserve featherleg as well as continental and reserve continental with black in their tails. This may reflect upon the quality of the other featherleg and continental entries in a show but I interpreted it differently.

Lots of people have asked about the tarps I'm using;. With yet another cold snap coming, here's what I've done.Ready for February now !

Go to eBay and go to ADVANCED search, to the right of Search..Scroll down the page to sellers. Tarpstogo should show up. If not, you can go direct to their website TARPAFLEX.COM. Only get the ones with the white nylon mesh. They last for years. You can join tarps by using HEAVY duty Scotch brand clear packing tape too. I just have the gate to the main run to cover today. This stuff is great as you can cut it, and use the packing tape to attach it to metal posts, and gates.We used heavy zip ties to attach the tarps to the chain link. I've got a photo ....

All buttoned up. Just one panel to go ! This is facing North.

If you'll label your tarps when you take them down, you'll save yourself a hassle next year ! Got a good stash of pumpkins too.

Edited by thedragonlady - Today at 5:51 am

Last edited:
Thanks for the link. Always nice to have multiple options.
Here are the ones I'm using on my breeding pens... perfectly clear vinyl except when the frost is heavy.
I use MyTarp.com
These are attached with Velcro and are rolled up on days when it's above 30 or so, and then totally removed in the winter.

Back
Top Bottom