Heritage Large Fowl - Phase II

Quote:
Those are hatchery RIR's
ep.gif
!!! They look like Sex-Links.
Are those heritage RIR's show qual???

Perhaps they where Sex-Links then?!?!
So you don't have your Her RIR's either?
I have some Fogel line HRIRs. and will be breeding some this year.

I have two Horstman RIRs which are Kittle line but will not be breeding them. I hope to get some more going here in Northern CA to see what they look like in this climate.

Sorry, I am not familiar with Fogel, Horstman nor Kittle.
Sounds good though. Good luck
smile.png
@FOGELLY is big stuff on the Heritage RIR thread.

Horstman has a hatchery for some Show Quality lines. http://www.horstmanspoultry.com/

His Single Comb RIR are Kittle line. Someone on the HRIR thread has a link to a page with a description of the major HRIR lines.

The term "show quality" is a bit of a misnomer. Even if one has the very, very good line of heirloom, heritage birds, from the very finest parent stock not all the offspring will be "show quality", meaning not every one of the offspring would be candidate to take to a show, let alone do very well. It simply doesn't work that way, even with the best of parent stock.

The American Livestock and Breed Conservatory were major promoters of the term, "Heritage". It is defined, by them, here: http://www.livestockconservancy.org/index.php/heritage/internal/heritage-chicken

I would strongly suggest that inquirers be referred to that definition of "what is a heritage chicken?". While the Conservancy's definition is just one such attempt, at least it is an understandable one and a good place to start.

At the core of the definition, sometimes easily overlooked perhaps, is that the birds must be bred to the breed Standard of the American Poultry Association.

Hatchery birds sold as Rhode Island Reds are simply not bred to the breed's Standard. We must stress again and again that it isn't JUST the dark, mahogany color, but type; the elongated body shape, called brick shape, the long flat back, the tail, the long front keel, and the rest. Type makes a breed, not merely color.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom