Heritage Large Fowl - Phase II

Sometimes it really helps to get advice from more knowledgeable breeders...helps us take the rose colored glasses off.

Yes, I agree.  Last year we hatched over 400 Wyandotte from 6 pens...all told there are only 25 that have been kept either as breeders or layers.
As an example: In Pen 1, The two Columbian cockerels we were discussing are the ones that made the final cut out of 25 juveniles. Only 3 CW  pullets out of 73 made it to the breed pens this year although several are in the layer room.
in Pen 6 out of 50 hatched, I kept only one Blue Birchen cockerel.
The pens were  1) Original CW, 2) Original CW sire over CW, Black and Blue daughters, 3) Original CW over Birchen daughters,  4) Blue CW F1 over mother, 5) Birchen F1 over Black F1,  6) Blue Birchen F1 over Blue mother and sister. 
There was a lot of culling going on in stages as the chicks moved thru the grow out pens. 

Toe punching, leg bands and paper records with photos have been essential.
Why did you do so many colors?

Walt

Sometimes it really helps to get advice from more knowledgeable breeders...helps us take the rose colored glasses off.

Yes, I agree. Last year we hatched over 400 Wyandotte from 6 pens...all told there are only 25 that have been kept either as breeders or layers.
As an example: In Pen 1, The two Columbian cockerels we were discussing are the ones that made the final cut out of 25 juveniles. Only 3 CW pullets out of 73 made it to the breed pens this year although several are in the layer room.
The pens were 1) Original CW, 2) Original CW sire over CW, Black and Blue daughters, 3) Original CW over Birchen daughters, 4) Blue CW F1 over mother, 5) Birchen F1 over Black F1, 6) Blue Birchen F1 over Blue mother and sister.
There was a lot of culling going on in stages as the chicks moved thru the grow out pens.

Toe punching, leg bands and paper records with photos have been essential.

I agree, particularly if they have worked with your breed or color. I like for my birds to get picked on a bit. Makes you think a bit. I do not think anyone would be more critical than myself. I have to look for the rights, because I get stuck on the wrongs.

400 birds is a lot of birds. That will keep you moving, but it gives you a lot to look at.

And the projects . . . many of the best breeders are always toying with a project. Many of the better breeders are creative.

Quote:
Yes, I'm fortunate to be retired, have an encouraging husband and plenty of room for pens and infrastructure. Couple that with some great older friends and family who have been around chickens for 70 plus years who can help advise. Then to find a site like BYC with people who have Wyandotte and Columbian color background...well it's a slice of heaven!
I enjoy the process and the beauty of the birds so it makes taking care of them fun.

Matt, Thank you so much!
I've tried to work on building the barn since joining the Heritage threads with Bob and you other knowledgeable mentors.
I have learned that the paint and details can be bred once the type is set.

Yes, she is a lovely daughter of the original cock and one of the original hens. There are three that look just like her. Two are CW and one is BCW. All four are in a breed pen with their Columbian sire. Eggs are in the incubators now.

So the Second Cock it will be for the 2nd Columbian pen. He will get daughters of the original Columbian cock. I have 2 each: CW, Black and Blue daughters so should get some nice birds from which to choose. Hoping to set the yellow leg, We want Columbian, Blue Columbian and Birchen.

There are 4 BCW hens in with an older BCW Cock. Once I have 50 chicks on the ground from that pen, I will try the BCW cock
with two of them that have nice color and a tad lower tail...one is in the group photo on the left side of the photo across from the CW you like.

I really appreciate you taking the time to view and share your thoughts on my birds. Your advice most helpful.
Good idea;. I too, prefer the second bird. He has a much stronger head, which goes with his wider body.The first K looks somewhat effeminate to me.

A POULTRY POINT. "Always ask for the right leg of a chicken or turkey," said a chef.
"If the left leg is offered you refuse it. It will be tough and stringy. "You see, these birds
nearly always roost on one leg, the left. Hense that leg becomes very muscular. The
sinews are like steel. It is an excellent leg from the athletic, but a vile one from the culinary
point of view. "But the favored right leg remains tender and juicy. Therefore, as the
advertisements say, 'ask for and insist on getting the right leg.'"—Minneapolis Journal.

How To Make Your Own Charcoal In Your Backyard:
http://www.buyactivatedcharcoal.com/making_charcoal

Last edited:

Yes, I agree.  Last year we hatched over 400 Wyandotte from 6 pens...all told there are only 25 that have been kept either as breeders or layers.
As an example: In Pen 1, The two Columbian cockerels we were discussing are the ones that made the final cut out of 25 juveniles. Only 3 CW  pullets out of 73 made it to the breed pens this year although several are in the layer room.
The pens were  1) Original CW, 2) Original CW sire over CW, Black and Blue daughters, 3) Original CW over Birchen daughters,  4) Blue CW F1 over mother, 5) Birchen F1 over Black F1,  6) Blue Birchen F1 over Blue mother and sister. 

Toe punching, leg bands and paper records with photos have been essential.
Why did you do so many colors?

Walt

I started with the Columbian Wyandotte several years ago ....a challenging color in the first place.
A nice Blue Wyandotte purchased two years ago to go in my layer flock was noticed by one of my mentors for her good type and great yellow legs. A test breeding produced Blue Columbian, Birchen and Blue Birchen and Black with acceptable type, color and nice leg color. My art and science background kicked in and since I have the time, resources and space I took up the challenge.
Genetics for feather color in chickens is slightly different from my 20 years of breeding Lovebirds...but really much more enjoyable.
I know these colors are not on the APA list of recognized color varieties. But developing birds worthy of recognition makes me happy

I guess you can call me a wimp but that's why I prefer solid color chickens, besides solid white. If I can make room my next dream breed it would barred rocks for a more challenging color, I love the feathering pattern on them.

Untill then I belong at..

There is nothing wrong with that NanaKat. This is a hobby.

I think Walt, in part, is looking at the immensity and difficulty of all of the colors. I did think to myself, what if you could hatch out 400 in one or two colors? The way I am set up, I could do 200 hundred a year, but 80-120 is better. Even then I should to be culling from early on.
If I could do 400 birds, I could really get somewhere.

The good thing about all of this is that you can do what you want, and if you do not like it, you can eat it. Literally.

Back
Top Bottom