Heritage Large Fowl - Phase II

I am not sure on the genetics but I do know people who have flocks that do not have just pullets and they lay double yolkers. Maybe its like humans in that it may run more in one strain than the others. I do not want them. I am sure they would blow out worse.
I'm pretty certain you are right about the 'blow-out'.

I consider it a very serious fault in a laying flock and do what I can to breed away from it.

Anecdotally, I think I'm making progress.

Anyone see that prank about some hackers who hacked into Montana news station and warned people about the zombie apocalypse? I thought it was so funny!

Looking it up now!
yuckyuck.gif
gig.gif

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/02/11/krtv-fake-zombie-alert_n_2665469.html

Last edited:
Lmao! I found this from

Must be a remake from the original that you posted, but I love how it's from a pancake making commercial..

Quote from Dawn of the Dead - 1978 - "When there's no more room in hell, then the dead will walk the earth"

A young couple from Arkansas made the trip to purchase Columbian Wyandotte pol pullets, a cockerel and some young chicks for their backyard flock. These were second string birds and some January hatchlings. I had already sold most everything of age last fall so this sale cleared out all but my breeders that are set for pens or already in breed pens.

Lurkers who are wanting some of the Heritage breeds need to contact their breeders and get on lists for chicks, eggs early. The winter temperatures may be affecting hatch rates for a while.

I am going to look at two flocks within the next month, one of Chanticleers and one of Naked Necks (both white), both are used for meat birds by some local farmers - gonna go and asses what the flocks are like - maybe adding two new breeds this year. That would give me choice between three breeds to use for 4-H this year. Thinking I will be coming home with chicks.... I should really look into some battery style brooders ohh and buying the feed by the ton! ($500 for a 1000kg's of feed or 0.5/kg or 22 cents/pound)

I am going to look at two flocks within the next month, one of  Chanticleers and one of Naked Necks (both white), both are used for meat birds by some local farmers - gonna go and asses what the flocks are like - maybe adding two new breeds this year. That would give me choice between three breeds to use for 4-H this year. Thinking I will be coming home with chicks.... I should really look into some battery style brooders ohh and buying the feed by the ton! ($500 for a 1000kg's of feed or 0.5/kg or 22 cents/pound)
That is quite expensive feed. I pay around 350 bucks right now for a tonne. I get it from a farmer next door, we hammer our own feed there and I pay 1 dollar extra per bushel for mixing on top the going market price. Add the layer supplement and you are around 340 bucks right now for a tonne. Going to seed 20 acres of wheat this spring, because we want to add that to the mix. Birds do well on it. Piet

Quote: Yah. See you live in the the prairies correct? I live on the east coast and we do not grow much grain around here - mostly veg. soy and corn. I know out in BC my friend payed 950 for two ton's of it - so it really has to do with where you are. I have had a hard time tracking down layer supplement on the east coast.

That is quite expensive feed. I pay around 350 bucks right now for a tonne. I get it from a farmer next door, we hammer our own feed there and I pay 1 dollar extra per bushel for mixing on top the going market price. Add the layer supplement and you are around 340 bucks right now for a tonne. Going to seed 20 acres of wheat this spring, because we want to add that to the mix. Birds do well on it. Piet

I have not found an arraignment like yours. I did find a source for wheat by the drum. It is working out to be around .13 per pound. Corn is about the same. Nothing to brag on, but progress for me.

It looks like with what I am scheming it will make up about 20% of the ration.

20 acres is a lot of wheat.

Back
Top Bottom