Heritage Large Fowl - Phase II

Rabbits were once conidered rodents & rabbit meat is delicious. High in protein, low in fat & easily digestible. Fast growing & efficient converters of feed to meat. Ther's a lot to recommend rabbit meat. At one point we ate mostly what I killed or grew. Meat rabbits were always part of that equation.
Could not agree more...We have raised rabbits off and on over the years and really enjoy the excellent meat.

Right not, I have trio of Florida Whites for obvious reasons and will eventually bring in some NZ whites to cross in.

How do you tell the difference between feather damage and (genetically) poor feathering?
It's just obvious. Not a good answer but the truth; go on a site where there are lots of GaNoi pictured and you'll understand what I mean.

Feather damage shows broken feathers. Mite/bug damage shows as 'holes' or thin areas in the feathers.

It's just obvious. Not a good answer but the truth; go on a site where there are lots of GaNoi pictured and you'll understand what I mean.

Feather damage shows broken feathers. Mite/bug damage shows as 'holes' or thin areas in the feathers.

Ok, thank you. It's not obvious to me, at this point. I took some birds to Walt, for his opinion. He pointed out some feathers that were poor quality feathers and told me to watch out for that type of feathering. I thought that it was damage from the bathing.

Poor quality feathering can be genetic but is most often a result of feed and environment. Dusting/spraying often for mites is one of the best bets.

Quote:
Good to know that yours grew out ok. Thanks.

These chicks are all wing-tagged, so I will watch them as they grow out.

I am overrun with cockerels again. I need excuses to cull cockerels as they hit puberty because I don't have room to keep more than half a dozen of them in good condition. The pictured chick has been chest-bumping its brooder mates, but it has a pass for now. Time will tell.

Sarah

If anyone has any good pictures of adult birds that have poor feather quality that might be a genetic issue, I for one would really like to see some pictures so I can get it set in my mind. That way I can look for it and hopefully get it culled out.
I have a lovely Delaware pullet from kathy's new line that has poor feather quality so won't be used for breeding. I will try to snap a picture this afternoon and post. She will be a year old in April so I think it is what it is. After hearing that Walt saw one of Kims and said don't use her because of the poor feather quality I kept my eye on this one as she grew and decided she had the same problem.

How do you tell the difference between feather damage and (genetically) poor feathering?
A lot of that boils down to knowing your birds.

When my Catalanas are side by side with my NHs, I know whether or not they have mites/lice, I know what they are getting fed, and I know where they are at concerning the molt etc. When the NHs have excellent feather, and some of the Catalanas do not . . . it starts adding up. Or you see the variability in a single flock.

Feather quality is a concern of mine with the Catalanas. Some have better feather quality than others. I know what the problem is because I know my birds, and I know the other details.

I can tell what the problem is easier with my own, than looking at another person's birds. Then it gets difficult for me to identify what the problem is.

Back
Top Bottom