Heritage Large Fowl - Phase II

That's what I was thinking. I started thinking of having chickens in the back yard a couple years ago when I saw the chicks in Atwoods. I had the hardest time figuring out what breed "bantam" or "straight run" were
lau.gif
Or finding pictures of these specific "breeds" online (yes I know what these terms mean now). I don't know much now, but I have come a long way! I can't believe people would just buy chicks not even knowing what breed or general purpose they were bred for?

That's what I was thinking. I started thinking of having chickens in the back yard a couple years ago when I saw the chicks in Atwoods. I had the hardest time figuring out what breed "bantam" or "straight run" were
lau.gif
Or finding pictures of these specific "breeds" online (yes I know what these terms mean now). I don't know much now, but I have come a long way! I can't believe people would just buy chicks not even knowing what breed or general purpose they were bred for?

It happens all the time on these forums and I too can't believe anyone would just buy a chicken, regardless of what breed it was. Makes one wonder if they acquire all their animals and purchases in just that manner...."Honey, go out and buy a dog. Doesn't really matter what kind, I just want a dog. While you are at it, go buy a car...doesn't matter what kind, I just think we need another car now."

Was at our local Atwoods yesterday where the geese, guineas and an assortment of Bantam chicks were in water tanks with lights. Several people were talking about how cute they were. So many have no idea what it takes to house and care for their chicks/goslings....and the salespeople don't volunteer that information. I answered questions for 15 minutes and shared our BYC link.
I rehabbed two 8 week old goslings two years ago that a little 4 year old boy received at Easter. He had them in a dog crate in his bedroom and they had never been outside! He told me they were "stinky". The goose had a slipped tendon and had lost a wing tip. With care they recovered and grew healthy.
Breaks my heart to see so many little birds/bunnies bought for Easter pets and they end up dying from lack of proper care.

Last edited:
I've grown to have a distinct and active dislike for the term "chicken math". It's become a catch-all phrase to justify impulsive overstocking and seems to result in many tragic sagas in which the chicken is the loser.

Yep. I spent 2 YEARS deciding what dog to get, and flew her in from out of state and had a 3 hour drive to pick her up from the airport. I'm not going to be that picky about my chickens, but I want something that will come running to see me, something that will lay a decent sized egg several times a week, and I would like something nice to look at. Black Australorp, Columbian or silver laced Wyandotte, and Ameraucana on my list. Couldn't resist the blue eggs, and I was thinking about a barneveldor, but they seem to be scarce).

Back
Top Bottom