Heritage Large Fowl - Phase II

Hi,
Thanks for the input! I am thinking I need a rose comb or cushion comb breed. I am just not going to do this again. It is too hard to spend all that time, attention, and money raising a season of chicks only to see the cold ruin their show chances. I wonder if Bantam Chanteclers are as hardy as the large fowl Chanties?
Best,
Karen

Hi,
 Thanks for the input! I am thinking I need a rose comb or cushion comb breed.  I am just not going to do this again. It is too hard to spend all that time, attention, and money raising a season of chicks only to see the cold ruin their show chances.  I wonder if Bantam Chanteclers are as hardy as the large fowl Chanties?
 Best,
 Karen
Karen, I don't know about the bantams but I got LF White Chanteclers last year and have been very happy with them. We are USDA Hardiness Zone 4-5, and they handled our multiple sub zero nights without any comb issues. The pullets are laying solid extra large eggs and did well with the winter laying, though they understandably took a break during the coldest period. I'm hatching chicks this year even though they are only a year old, to try to build a flock, and the chicks pop right out. They also are great free Rangers, roam far and wide and are the last to come in at night. There really isn't anything negative I can say about them.

Maybe a discussion on how to manage breeds with large combs in places that get exceptionally cold would be helpful.

That would be helpful.

I know having good ventilation and keeping the coop dry are two key factors. I plan on having roof vents in the coop, along with two sheets of opaque fiber roofing on the south facing side. Sand for the floor.

I know I need some other ventilation in there in the winter to keep the air fresh and the coop dry. I'm guessing it should not be near the nesting boxes or perches to avoid drafts.

That would be helpful.

I know having good ventilation and keeping the coop dry are two key factors. I plan on having roof vents in the coop, along with two sheets of opaque fiber roofing on the south facing side. Sand for the floor.

I know I need some other ventilation in there in the winter to keep the air fresh and the coop dry. I'm guessing it should not be near the nesting boxes or perches to avoid drafts.
Really!! Great to know. How is the food conversation ratio? What strain are your birds from? Does the standard ratios of 4 sq. ft. per LF bird inside and 10 sq. ft. per LF bid outside work for them? Need more than that?
Thanks,
Karen

Last edited:
All of our coops are trailer because we rotate grazing with Enet - when I built the last smaller breeding Coop trailer we incorporated floor ventilation. I based the design on a post that was from Bob some time ago and the vent tube was made of wood planks nailed together to form vent pipe. It was a article from a early 1900s publication.
The difference in moisture in this coop and my first coop is amazing and I would never believe it if I hadn't tried it.
There are two forms of venting behind the roost.
The metal pipe is close to the floor and with a floor vent [4x8] . it vents to the attic which is vented at the roof.
The other venting are the auto opening house foundation vents [ black at left and right bottom of roosts ]
They do not open until 40 degrees . Unless its below 20 degrees I never lock my Delaware's in so the front hatch is almost always open allowing ventilation to the floor duct.
We use corse sawdust on the floor and this coop stays noticeable dryer than the older one.
I have already bought the ducts and piping to put in the old coop.
We have had one cock get a small place with frostbite but I feel it was related to 25 MPH winds at 20 degrees.
And we are in southern Virginia - It was cold this year for us Southern Boys.

Hi everyone, we are still looking to expand our heritage breed collection specifically looking for Speckled Sussex, Chantecellors, Barred Plymouth Rocks, Buckeyes etc... I was on a waiting list for some very nice speckled Sussex and the guy ended up moving and never got back to me... please let me know if anybody knows of any breeders of sq heritage breeds... thank you!

Karen, since you like the Columbian pattern and have done all that research and learning on it, maybe you might like Columbian Wyandottes?

I think that the Chantecler is a more active bird and not sure if it would enjoy confinement like that. The Wyandotte, on the other hand, is pretty easy to please, easy going and doesn't mind confinement. I had some long enough to get the rose comb and smaller wattles into my mixed breed egg flock (for variety in egg colors). That's been a couple years and the grandkids are all the same. Even on a nice day, they'll come outside to eat and then they all go back in the coop even though they have a sizeable yard to scratch around in!
roll.png

Hi everyone, we are still looking to expand our heritage breed collection specifically looking for Speckled Sussex, Chantecellors, Barred Plymouth Rocks, Buckeyes etc... I was on a waiting list for some very nice speckled Sussex and the guy ended up moving and never got back to me... please let me know if anybody knows of any breeders of sq heritage breeds... thank you!

I've got Barred Plymouth Rock chicks due to hatch 4/12. Sending you a PM.

Really!! Great to know. How is the food conversation ratio? What strain are your birds from? Does the standard ratios of 4 sq. ft. per LF bird inside and 10 sq. ft. per LF bid outside work for them? Need more than that?
Thanks,
Karen

Coops not built yet, chicks arrive in a month or so. Going with New Hampshires.

Back
Top Bottom