Heritage Meat Birds

Pics
I stand by Speckled Sussex having a distinctively superiority in flesh and skin flavor and texture over any other chickens that I have raised in the same conditions and w/ the same rations in the same coop. I suppose they were the Kings table bird for a while for a reason.

Very correct, they were one of the prime meat breeds of England during the final decades of the nineteenth century.

I recently read a post that an unintentional mix of a New Hampshire and Speckled Sussex turned out to look like a Buff Orpington. It was an old post, I saw the pic too.

I stand by Speckled Sussex having a distinctively superiority in flesh and skin flavor and texture over any other chickens that I have raised in the same conditions and w/ the same rations in the same coop.

Somewhere on one of these meat bird forums, someone posted a study that showed Sussex as being the best tasting out of several heritage birds in a blind taste test. I have a few Speckled Sussex hens, and love the breed. I did think about getting a SS Roo, but I like the Sussex and their personalities so much, I worried that it would make butchering day that much harder. I may have to re-think this.

Back
Top Bottom