heritage meat chickens?

It comes down to dollars. Let's beat-up on Murray McMurray again. They're selling Dark Cornish. They're getting them from some farm somewhere in the midwest who sells them hatching eggs. The customers complain to MM that the dark cornish hardly lay anything and they'd never buy them again. The hatchery then squeezes the breeder who has to develop birds that "look" true to type, but perform better for people in the backyard. 99% of people buying day old chicks probably couldn't tell if the birds were true to type, since most of us only recognize the plumage pattern/color, rather than the carriage shape and the more critical factors for breed typing.

This could all be my imagination, too... but, seriously, I got a whole batch of Dark Cornish all of which had tails like they were Phoenix's or something. I only bred the tight feathered ones after being just brutalized by the judge at my Fair where I unknowlingly showed them.

You learn a lot showing birds. Not all is ego-boosting, either.
tongue.png

p.s. If I haven't mentioned it, if I were forced to pick and keep only 1 breed of chicken, it would be teh Dark Cornish. They are the best mothers and seem rather feral in nature. I could probably never feed any of them and they'd do just fine on their own. Plus, they are just stunningly pretty, like little falcons or hawks.

p.s.s. Colored Range Broilers would really be my first 'breed', Cornish 2nd.
lol.png

p.s.s. Colored Range Broilers would really be my first 'breed', Cornish 2nd.

Just today I have found out about these colored Range broilers and am having second thoughts about the dark cornish...............

They look really nice and I love the tricolored looking ones on the JM hatchery site. Which is also new to me. I thought I had heard of all the hatcheries! lol

So for meat production and raising their own chicks would you say they are better than the Dark Cornish?​

I have been reading about Corndel mix...75% Cornish 25% Delaware. Problem is I cannot actually find a source for them. Would rather buy eggs or chicks than have to breed them myself...no space actually to go to all that trouble.

Does anyone know of a source for these? The original breeder, Tim Shell had 2 lines of them..." Improved Cordel Cross" and the " Improved Pastured Pepper. I did quite a search on internet and came up with nada.

Quote:
Just today I have found out about these colored Range broilers and am having second thoughts about the dark cornish...............

They look really nice and I love the tricolored looking ones on the JM hatchery site. Which is also new to me. I thought I had heard of all the hatcheries! lol

So for meat production and raising their own chicks would you say they are better than the Dark Cornish?

The colored range broilers are customly actual broilers, whereas a Dark Cornish is a purebred chicken which historically was used for meat or meat crosses. A broiler is going to outperform any purebred chicken significantly. I think the CRB's are gorgeous, too, and I always keep a hen or two from each crop of broilers we do.

Do you always buy from the hatchery or do you raise your own from the stock you get originally from the hatchery? I am talking about the Colored Range Broilers that is.

Quote:
So that answers my question! I guess the Dark Cornish would be the ones to raise if I want them to reproduce themselves then.

I guess I could throw in a few of the broilers and use a Dark Cornish rooster and get what I get from the offspring right?

As long as we get some good meat from a "normal" chicken I will be happy.

I have some Dark Cornishes being sent tomorrow from Ideal. Has anyone had experince with their Dark Cornishes? Are they pretty true to type? I want them for mainly meat, but was keen on their forage ability and the retention of their natural instincts.

I have crossed my Dark Cornish rooster on some held-back Freedom Ranger hens. These were by far and away the largest homebred broilers I've produced on my one. They will outperform straight Dark Cornish birds intended for meat. They'll be somewhere inbetween the 9/10 week mark and the 15/16. Where exactly probably will vary within the batch, as again breeding hybrids sometimes gives you varied results.

Back
Top Bottom