Heritage New Hampshires

Quote:
Oh, no .... please don't stop posting! Would love to have you continue with us on this thread. We all learn from each other. Many will have different opinions, but that is okay too! It is nice to have Mr. Mongold, an APA judge experienced with breeding New Hampshires, joinining us here, don't ya think?

Absolutely and great, too
thumbsup.gif

Jeff

Am I correct to cull the females without the black ticking?
idunno.gif

Should I keep only the lighter colored females, even if they do not have the ticking?

For example, in this picture, the pullet on the right is lighter than the others, however, the ticking is only slight.

31282_8-18-2011nh017.jpg

Last edited:
Kathy, that is a very good question. I am wondering the same thing as I have the same situation myself. Maybe Mr. Mongold could help us out with an answer on this.

Yes, it is great that Mr. Mongold is willing share his knowledge with us. The only way beginners like myself are going to learn how to breed poultry correctly toward the SOP is to welcome and listen to the people that know what they are doing from experience. I don't know how much I will end up showing as I am quite removed from the main show circuit but I still want to learn how to breed these birds correctly. I have went to great lengths to acquire good lines of several breeds from what I believe to be reliable and respected breeder/show people and I certainly want to do them justice in preserving them properly.

Personally I thought the female on the right, the lack of distinct tickling aside, is the nicest one there. But I'm certainly no expert
smile.png
I just see a really nice tail, body, and color that even match pretty well to the illustration shown previously.

Quote:
Good day there fellow New Hampshire chicken lovers,
lol.png

Oh I just think they are lovely Mrs. Kathy, have I ever told you how lovely I think ....... er um a hem
duc.gif

No, now on a serious note great question there on which to keep or not. I certainly don't have the correct answer either but maybe we can get some input here from the more experienced ones on here that do the selective breeding on here I'm sure somebody can answer it for us.

I was too tired to answer last night, I try to refrain from answering too many questions that late at night. I'm sure most people wouldn't want to try to sort out my blabbering and rabbit chasing that the answer would more or less turn into.

But I did go to bed with it on my mind and this is one of the things I brainstormed up when I woke up and started doing my morning chores and routines.

Maybe contact Mr. Robert Blosl and see what he has too say on the situation at hand. I don't know how much of an expert he is on New Hampshires, but he deffinately knows his Rhode Island Reds for sure and beings the NH's are relatively close to the RIR's not like brother and sister close but more like double-first cousin close and that's almost as close as siblings.

I remember back sometime ago when he (Bob) was talking about picking out the RIR pullets and hens, that to keep the dark rich mahagony red you either did or did'nt use the ones with the black striping in their neck feathers and most definately you do not use the male with the black striping in their hackles (the reason I remember that on the males is because I have always chosen the striped neck ones in my Pro-red line because they are prettier to me) not trying to compare oranges to apples, just saying.

Anyhoo, there maybe something to the same nature in this color configuration, maybe? IDK
idunno.gif

till next time, bye for now

Jeff

ps did you get my pun:
gig.gif
oranges (NH) apples (RIR)

I know
smack.gif
right?
lau.gif

I am going to refer to the posts concerning the color of New Hampshires. I have been confused comparing the Jacky paintings to the description in the SOP. I do not believe that they necessarily match. When I read the description I do not see a bird as evenly shaded. I also see a bird a shade darker (just slightly). The color of a chestnut is a dark red. "Rich chestnut" is a darker red, and medium chestnut is only slightly lighter in shade. I do not see a big difference between the painting and the description, but I do see a difference. Refer to the color of an actual chestnut.
Fortunately my taste favors the paintings, so I will not necessarily object to them. I believe it is worth noting however, that color descriptions (literally), are prone to a varience in interpretation. The red in Rhodes, or buff in others have long been debated. I hope when they are judged, there is an allowance for a SLIGHT degree of varience in shade. I have photos of succesful exhibition New Hampshires that are a bit darker than these paintings from some time ago.
Mr. Mongold noted in an earlier post that New Hampshires undercolor was significant related to their use as a meat bird. It seams to me that this is relevant to the shade of red they are bred to. Still, early on they were a general purpouse fowl (and listed as such in the SOP). They did prove to be a better meat bird due to their quick maturity etc., and over a period of time some took them more in that direction. Still others took advantage of their egg laying ability. They seamed to have split in a few directions. An all around fowl, a prominent meat strain, and a bird more orientated toward egg laying. Quick maturity is an advantage for layers as well. Exhibition is part of the story. They may have become better known as a meat bird though.
I guess to sum up, what I am trying to communicate is that there is a variance in opinion and emphasis in every breed. The SOP is our standard and rightfully so, but it does not settle everything 100%. I enjoyed the discussion on color and appreciate Mr. Mongold's contributions.
Kathy, as far as selecting on from the beautiful birds that I recieved from you. . . I want to see the black ticking in the hens improved (fortunately one pullet that has the best overall type has better ticking), them broadened up just a bit with a little more depth, and lightened up just a little. I am watching the pullets combs. They are still fantastic birds, and are a great contribution. I am fortunate to have some.
I am open to correction to what I have stated. I am trying to learn more about New Hampshires. I have always been enthralled by them. Though I have always had an interest in poultry, but am just beginning to be serious about breeding them.

Quote:
Kathy, hopefully Mr. Mongold answers this question. My impression comparing her to the other three from the photo is that she has the best build, etc. I think (maybe) that hatching in numbers is relevant here. Maybe a good and lighter colored cock over a good typed hen with better ticking. Wouldn't the shade of the rooster have more influence? I hope this question is answered. I want to know more about breeding and particularly the things relevant to this breed. I am "bumping" the question.

Quote:
Kathy, hopefully Mr. Mongold answers this question. My impression comparing her to the other three from the photo is that she has the best build, etc. I think (maybe) that hatching in numbers is relevant here. Maybe a good and lighter colored cock over a good typed hen with better ticking. Wouldn't the shade of the rooster have more influence? I hope this question is answered. I want to know more about breeding and particularly the things relevant to this breed. I am "bumping" the question.

I think you are right, George. I am just gonna have to have some more hatching marathons here.
big_smile.png
The birds pictured are all from cock #1. Currently I have cock #2 chicks growing out, but they are only a couple months old. I have just penned the New Hampshires for fall hatching. Cock #1 is in the pen for now.

I will go outside now and get a picture of both cocks. Doug told me one was pure German and the other was half German.

Kathy, if you get a chance sometimes, could you take a picture of both the hens and cocks from directly above? I'm still studying and learning about them, would like to see the body shape as in the shape and width of the back. Don't go to any trouble, but sometime when you are taking pictures it would be appreciated.
I still drool over the pictures of these birds every time I'm looking at this thread. Someday.....
droolin.gif

Match the breast color of the male with the overall ground color of the female.

Move the shade of your New Hampshires one shade at a time instead of trying to do it all at once.

A major problem is the splotchy color that a lot of females display after their first year hen molt.

No other way to describe it than ugly. mho

Back
Top Bottom