Heritage RIR and Heritage Delaware

harleyjo

Songster
9 Years
May 6, 2010
SW Iowa
If you are breeding these 2 breeds for egg production and on the Dels, good carcus size for butchering as well as egg production, please let me know. I am doing some flock planning for spring and I can see in my research that not only is getting away from hatchery birds good but making sure the breeder is breeding towards eggs and not all show quality. I will get better birds than hatchery birds geared toward the qualities I am looking for. Thanks!

Quote:
Hatcheries do not have "Heritage" birds, What they have are "Production" or "Industrial" birds.
If you are breeding either of the two breed you mentioned for strictly egg production, carcase size and not to the APA standard then you would also be breeding for a Production or Industrial use and not to the Heritage of the breed.

Both Delawares and Rhode Island Reds are dual purpose breeds that should have a fare amount of carcase size and for the hens lay a fare amount of egg. They both should mature somewhat slow and not reach market weight till around 4 months of age and full size and maturity till about 9 to 12 months of age.

I raise Red's but I breed them to the APA Standard and for fare to good egg production. Neither of the two breed were bred to be egg laying machines or large carcase fowl.

CHris

Chris, Thank-you. I have so much to learn.

One of the reasons I picked the Delaware was this....
For about twenty years the Delaware and the Delaware x New Hampshire cross were the most popular broiler chickens on the Delmarva Peninsula, because of the Delaware’s ability to produce offspring with predominately white feathering. This is an advantage for carcass appearance since white feathers don’t leave dark spots on the skin when feathers are growing in. Both the Delaware and the Delaware x New Hampshire were replaced in the late 1950's by the Cornish x Rock cross (solid white) that has come to dominate the industry.

I did the Cornish X twice last year and I just hate the stinky, messy birds. I had to find an alternative.

There is so much information out there and some of it conflicting. It just made sense to me that if I got a little better bird than the hatchery quality but wasn't as concerned for show, I would end up with what I am looking for. A decent looking bird that is a good egg producer and would butcher out well. I do plan to sell some of my chicks to the local people around my area and I didn't want a totally terrible looking bird. I do like the look of the Heritage Del and RIR. I know that having the RIR's they give me good egg layers but also with the roo with some of the crosses I can make, again I get good egg layers and I can color sex them at birth.

Please bear with me as I try to learn all of this.​

Quote:
Hatcheries do not have "Heritage" birds, What they have are "Production" or "Industrial" birds.
If you are breeding either of the two breed you mentioned for strictly egg production, carcase size and not to the APA standard then you would also be breeding for a Production or Industrial use and not to the Heritage of the breed.

Both Delawares and Rhode Island Reds are dual purpose breeds that should have a fare amount of carcase size and for the hens lay a fare amount of egg. They both should mature somewhat slow and not reach market weight till around 4 months of age and full size and maturity till about 9 to 12 months of age.

I raise Red's but I breed them to the APA Standard and for fare to good egg production. Neither of the two breed were bred to be egg laying machines or large carcase fowl.

CHris

chris i need some of you rir hatching eggs plzzzzzzzzzzz lol

Last edited:
D&S Farms, 202roosterlane,
I hope to start shipping again in the spring.

Chris

harleyjo,
If you are wanting a good cross for both egg and table fowl then I would go with any of these cross they have been used used for years here in the U.S. and in the U.K.

• Light Sussex x White Wyandotte

An excellent table chicken but care must be taken in selecting the breeders so the breast bone of the offspring is not too high. Care should also be taken in selecting the White Wyandotte hens, they must not have any black in the legs in order to get good white fleshed table bird. These are fast growing birds that are short legged, carrying lots of meat. Feathers are white with the odd black fleck. Almost all of these birds will be white fleshed.

• White Wyandotte X Light Sussex

Take care in selecting the White Wyandotte Cocks, they must not have any black in the legs in order to get good white fleshed table bird. Some chicks will have a yellow skin but other than this, the resulting birds are much the same as the Light Sussex X White Wyandotte cross mentioned above.

• Indian Game (Cornish) X Rhode Island Red
This produces a yellow skinned bird which can be greatly enhanced in color by feeding corn and allowing access to fresh green grass. The Rhode Island Red is a fast growing breed which dominates the slower growing Indian Game. Indian Game cocks should be at least a year old so that fertility is high. Since Rhode Island Reds are prolific layers, there is never any shortage of hatching eggs.

• Indian Game X Light Sussex on Light Sussex

This is a second cross that was once very popular to produce a very meaty white fleshed table bird. The first cross results in slow growth but the second results in very fast growth.

In the Indian Game (Cornish) X Light Sussex on Light Sussex above, you will bred a Indian Game (Cornish) Rooster to a Light Sussex Hen then the offspring of this cross would be crossed back to a Light Sussex

Note that the Indian Game (Cornish) is not the Cornish Cross but the actual Cornish breed.

Chris

Quote:
Thank-you, I will keep this in mind. How much do you sell your Heritage RIR hatching eggs for? I am definately keeping the RI's around here

Last edited:
I have a heritage strain of RI Reds if you haven't found any, have hatching eggs on auction right now but sell them year around, would be very happy to see you get some. I keep my prices low just to buy my chicken feed. My birds are my therapy since I have Fibromyalgia and can't work. They cost a lot less and I get more out of them then going to the doctors LOL!

Back
Top Bottom