Heritage turkey breed?

jasmer

Chirping
7 Years
Oct 15, 2012
Hey guys, just looking for some suggestions on a heritage turkey breed. We live in northern idaho on 5 acres of pine forest. We intend to free range our birds (chickens, ducks, turkeys) but we have some cold, long winters. We're looking for a nice, hardy bird with a good temperament as we have small children and need something that isn't crazy territorial.... I was thinking about bourbon reds, they sound like fantastic birds but thought I'd see what other people suggest for breeds.

I've read that with most heritage turkeys it pretty much boils down to aesthetics and temperament, something about no major difference between most of the breeds in size or flavor? If this is the case we're quite partial to the local wild turkey plumage, so if aesthetics is one of the biggest factors then that's what makes us happy lol.

We'd like something with a bit of breast as well as leg, something that can potentially grow into a family Thanksgiving bird, and put out some mighty fine lunch meat and a tasty dinner now and then. ;) Egg production isn't very important to us, as we have chickens already as well as more chicks and ducklings in the brooder.

What do you guys raise and enjoy as a small homestead meat bird? :)

I can't recommend the narragansett enough. They have a wonderful temperament, can raise their own young, free range easy and produce a very tasty (and large) thanksgiving dinner as well. I have been raising them for about 5 years now and I have no regrets with the breed. I've considered the others as well, but I've heard that some of the others are smaller, slower growing or have wanderlust. I also have raised mine along side small children and have never had an issue with bad temperament or violence towards any family member. They are quite sweet and curious and follow you around on free range. So for me, I didn't see the need in trying anything else when I knew what I had was working great for my family and farm. I hope you find what works well for your family as well. Best of luck! :)

Hey guys, just looking for some suggestions on a heritage turkey breed.  We live in northern idaho on 5 acres of pine forest.  We intend to free range our birds (chickens, ducks, turkeys) but we have some cold, long winters.  We're looking for a nice, hardy bird with a good temperament as we have small children and need something that isn't crazy territorial....  I was thinking about bourbon reds, they sound like fantastic birds but thought I'd see what other people suggest for breeds.

I've read that with most heritage turkeys it pretty much boils down to aesthetics and temperament, something about no major difference between most of the breeds in size or flavor?  If this is the case we're quite partial to the local wild turkey plumage, so if aesthetics is one of the biggest factors then that's what makes us happy lol.

We'd like something with a bit of breast as well as leg, something that can potentially grow into a family Thanksgiving bird, and put out some mighty fine lunch meat and a tasty dinner now and then. ;)  Egg production isn't very important to us, as we have chickens already as well as more chicks and ducklings in the brooder.

What do you guys raise and enjoy as a small homestead meat bird? :)

If you like the wild look, look at the standard bronze. Friendliest birds we have. Came from porters. Ours cone up to you and want picked up and petted. When they are on their nests we can pick them up with no fussing at all. I'll post a picture of the tom from my phone

RobertH

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom